HDI & The DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
IMG_1660.jpeg

Basically, the DR has a higher Human Development Index (HDI) than most Latin American countries except:

Puerto Rico​
Chile​
Argentina​
Uruguay​
Panama​
Costa Rica​
Mexico​

The DR’s HDI also grew more than everywhere’s except:

Mexico​
Cuba​
Ecuador​
Uruguay​

In the Greater Antilles the DR is ahead of all except Puerto Rico, but the gap closed the most with Puerto Rico.

The DR is ahead of all South American countries except Chile, Argentina and Ecuador.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not quite sure how they measure that, The DR is better in almost every way than Cuba. Cuban education might be slightly higher; that's about it.

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And when did Puerto Rico declare independence and become a country?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I am not sure the relevance of your question, I never mention PR. Puerto Rico benefits from itS relationship with the USA. Puerto Ricans ARE considered U.S citizens.

Jan 9, 2004
I am not sure the relevance of your question, I never mention PR. Puerto Rico benefits from itS relationship with the USA. Puerto Ricans ARE considered U.S citizens.

Yes they are still US citizens and no you did not mention PR. Perhaps I should have replied to the OP for clarity purposes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The data comes from the UN. That PR is a US territory doesn’t mean it isn’t part of Latin America. It’s like Ceuta being in Africa, that it’s a part of Spain doesn’t negates that.

Jan 9, 2004
The data comes from the UN. That PR is a US territory doesn’t mean it isn’t part of Latin America. It’s like Ceuta being in Africa, that it’s a part of Spain doesn’t negates that.
Of course it is part of Latin America................but it is NOT a country.........no matter what the UN or anyone else says.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Of course it is part of Latin America................but it is NOT a country.........no matter what the UN or anyone else says.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
It’s a country not because anyone says it, but because it is.

This is like saying for the first time in hietory the younger generations of Americans will be poorer than their parents. Anyone can say that American parents are getting ready to pass their wealth to their children. In a country where most people don’t have savings for their retirement, the money will miraculously appear for their kids to inherit. lol

Jan 9, 2004
It’s a country not because anyone says it, but because it is.

This is like saying for the first time in hietory the younger generations of Americans will be poorer than their parents. Anyone can say that American parents are getting ready to pass their wealth to their children. In a country where most people don’t have savings for their retirement, the money will miraculously appear for their kids to inherit. lol

Ok then, Puerto Rico is a country…..”because it is”…….smh.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

• Haha
Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth. Some Puerto Ricans would like it to be a country - others would like it to be a state.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Everywhere I looked it says Puerto Rico is a "US Territory"/"Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" as it is officially known, not a Country. But back to the topic, Humana Development Index...

***posted at the same time as you Cavok...lol

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
View attachment 8990

Basically, the DR has a higher Human Development Index (HDI) than most Latin American countries except:

Puerto Rico​
Chile​
Argentina​
Uruguay​
Panama​
Costa Rica​
Mexico​

The DR’s HDI also grew more than everywhere’s except:

Mexico​
Cuba​
Ecuador​
Uruguay​

In the Greater Antilles the DR is ahead of all except Puerto Rico, but the gap closed the most with Puerto Rico.

The DR is ahead of all South American countries except Chile, Argentina and Ecuador.
Nothing that comes from the UN has any Value !!!! Absolutely NOTHING !!!!
This is the most corupt organisation on the face of the earth. I wonder how many milions went into the accounts from Consulting Firms to make this useless study.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Everywhere I looked it says Puerto Rico is a "US Territory"/"Commonwealth of Puerto Rico" as it is officially known, not a Country. But back to the topic, Humana Development Index...

***posted at the same time as you Cavok...lol
You must never watched Puerto Ricsn media where the Puerto Ricans themselves refer to the place as “el país.” So go snd tell the Puerto Riczns they aren’t a country, which they are.

I wsaid it many years ago when I was a university student that there were topics discussed here and if the responses from seversl DR1ers were used in those classes, failure would be the only result.

Jan 9, 2004
You must never watched Puerto Ricsn media where the Puerto Ricans themselves refer to the place as “el país.” So go snd tell the Puerto Riczns they aren’t a country, which they are.

I wsaid it many years ago when I was a university student that there were topics discussed here and if the responses from seversl DR1ers were used in those classes, failure would be the only result.
HDI is a flawed index to the extent that it relies on data supplied by the various governments it reports on. By way of example, one of the three measures used is education. And while the DR has made great strides on paper, finally going from half to full days and providing the much ballyhooed 4% to the education budget, the population appears (the operative word "appears") to be getting far more education........but yet the country, as a whole, unfortunately largely remains under educated........so its not the quantity as measured by government statistics....but rather the quality.

As to your comment regarding education as a university student and as you relate it to seversl (sic) DR1ers purportedly regarding Puerto Rico as a country;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

• Haha

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
HDI is a flawed index to the extent that it relies on data supplied by the various governments it reports on. By way of example, one of the three measures used is education. And while the DR has made great strides on paper, finally going from half to full days and providing the much ballyhooed 4% to the education budget, the population appears (the operative word "appears") to be getting far more education........but yet the country, as a whole, unfortunately largely remains under educated........so its not the quantity as measured by government statistics....but rather the quality.
Yep, it doesn’t go with the narrative of some here. If on that one the DR had been at the bottom of the list, marvelous. Just as many DR1ers thought.

As to your comment regarding education as a university student and as you relate it to seversl (sic) DR1ers purportedly regarding Puerto Rico as a country;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Puerto Rico is a country. Simply because several people here conclude it isn’t doesn’t nean they are right, but this has been going on forever on DR1.

Take the Olympics as an example. There is a team and individuals representing very country. While you will never see a Florida team or a New York team, there is a USA team and several individuals that represent the USA. While there are no California or Texas teams, Puerto Rico do have teams and individuals. Take a wild guess for whom most Puerto Ricans root for when the competition includes Puerto Rico and the USA. Suddenly the flag they prefer has less stars and stripes than the Stars Spangle Banner. But some DR1ers decided it isn’t a country. Must be true.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Puerto Rico is a country. Simply because several people here conclude it isn’t doesn’t nean they are right, but this has been going on forever on DR1.
It is not a conclusion, it is a fact. Puerto Rico has had several votes on this very issue. Some want to withdraw from the Commonwealth and become their own country. Others want to become a state. Other are very happy with the Commonwealth status. So far, the Commonwealth status has prevailed.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We need to move on from the "is Puerto Rico a country or not". And NO NALS it is not some DR1'ers deciding it. No more about the Puerto Rico issue...