Ministry of Education orders an 8% increase to public teachers; union says it’s not enough

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Aumentan-8-por-ciento-salario-base-maestros-MINERD-1024x563.png

The Ministry of Education announced on Thursday, 2 May 2024 an overall 8% wage increase for public school teachers and those retired, but this was not enough for the teachers’ union (Asociación Dominicana de Profesores – ADP). The teachers’ union continues to rally its members to strike in protest. The union is asking for at least a 20% increase.

Public school teachers are among the best paid school teachers in the Dominican Republic, to the point the once burgeoning private school system has not been able to compete and thousands of teachers have resigned to join the public school system.

Local media report that not all public school teachers nationwide are backing the strike. Many have said the labor demands should not affect classes.

When making the announcement of the 8%, Education Minister Ángel Hernández recalled that only two years ago the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My neighbor is furious over this. She has an incredible heavy work load, and by the time all of her deductions are taken out, this amounts to a less than 1K pesos a month increase.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My neighbor is furious over this. She has an incredible heavy work load, and by the time all of her deductions are taken out, this amounts to a less than 1K pesos a month increase.
But she already gets paid 54,000 pesos a month or more. They aren't working today, but they will still get paid. We of course, still have class. UNLIKE THE PUBLIC SYSTEM TO GIVE OUR TEACHERS A BIG RAISE WE NEED TO RAISE FEES.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
An 8% increase of the same caliber teacher is useless. The public school system’s issues stem from a corrupt and incompetent school administration. The rainmakers are incompetent and corrupt. Next they have no interest in developing a curriculum that makes sense. Increasing teaching staff by 8% is a chapter right out of the mythical man. You can’t put 9 men on the job and have a baby in one month folks.

I forgot to address the senseless and numerous days and afternoons off for scam “workshops”. It is quite clear nothing beneficial or tangible ever comes out of these “talleres”

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
But she already gets paid 54,000 pesos a month or more. They aren't working today, but they will still get paid. We of course, still have class. UNLIKE THE PUBLIC SYSTEM TO GIVE OUR TEACHERS A BIG RAISE WE NEED TO RAISE FEES.
Like I said, by the time they deduct everything, an 8% raise amounts to a few pesos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Like I said, by the time they deduct everything, an 8% raise amounts to a few pesos.
What grade does she teach and how many students. What are the results of her teaching? I have three SIL as teachers, two from Canada and one from Cuba, who now teaches in Canada, plus I am married to a teacher. I have yet to hear a teacher say they were underworked and overpaid.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
"I have yet to hear a teacher say they were underworked and overpaid."

Or anyone else, for that matter.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
An 8% increase of the same caliber teacher is useless. The public school system’s issues stem from a corrupt and incompetent school administration. The rainmakers are incompetent and corrupt. Next they have no interest in developing a curriculum that makes sense. Increasing teaching staff by 8% is a chapter right out of the mythical man. You can’t put 9 men on the job and have a baby in one month folks.

I forgot to address the senseless and numerous days and afternoons off for scam “workshops”. It is quite clear nothing beneficial or tangible ever comes out of these “talleres”
thats for sure.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"I have yet to hear a teacher say they were underworked and overpaid."

Or anyone else, for that matter.
My wife started teaching in Colegio Don Bosco in Santo Domingo in 1987. She had classes as large as 60 students in Grade eight math. She didn't complain then and she doesn't complain now even though she works longer hours now than she did then.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo
Aug 21, 2007
I cannot even comment. We are considering exiting the accreditation process. Why work for people less competent than ourselves when there are absolutely no benefits for us?

May I add we are teaching nivel inicial- 3,4,5,6 year olds, up to grade 1. But even some of the private schools in Sosúa are exiting the system for the same reasons.