US Global Entry renewal

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Has anyone here in the DR renewed their Global Entry lately via Remote virtual Interview?

I need to start thinking about doing my renewal, and the option for remote virtual is not showing up.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had that issue?

Reactions: keepcoming

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Same here. The website says there's a virtual option but I can't find it. Perhaps it's a vestige from the lockdown and they removed the link but not the writing. I have to interview upon my return to JFK.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I was told that there is no virtual option at this time by a friend of ours who recently renewed. Like Joseph NY2STI, I was told that I can interview upon my departure/return into the US, either one. I am thinking of letting it go. I do not travel as much anymore so it really is not a big issue. Although we have 3 international trips planned this year, I may just have to stand in line like everyone else.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
2 times ago when I renewed I did the interview at DFW in one of the customs lines. They took my picture and I had my approval before boarding my connecting flight. When I renewed last year they didn't even do an interview. I was approved within 2 days and had my new card was in the mail within a week. They just used my picture from the previous renewal. IMO Global entry is so totally worth it even for one trip. That line that you see at MIA sometimes should be incentive enough. Plus now most of the kiosks have facial recognition and you don't even scan your passport and they ask almost no questions. Oh and Pre Check at the US airports is also a bonus. Best $100 ever spent. If your questioning it in your budget get a travel credit card that will reimburse you the fee, there are several of them.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I absolutely agree it's worth the 100 bucks but I'm not flying to the states just to renew mine.

My last time was virtual and I haven't flown since.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I absolutely agree it's worth the 100 bucks but I'm not flying to the states just to renew mine.

did mine via the web site. They mailed it to my address (U.S) No interview at all.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
did mine via the web site. They mailed it to my address (U.S) No interview at all.
There have been times they did the same with me, but not this time (so far). I've messaged them and will wait for a reply.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012

If your not flying to the US there would be no reason to have it since it currently pretty much does you no good in other countries. Although I have been reading that some countries might start recognizing it in the future.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Let us know what happens JD.
I received one response already, but it was just a copy/paste of some FAQs, with a "If these don't answer your question, feel free to respond to this email."
My answer:
"Thank you for your response.

Is there anyway I can do a virtual interview since I am out of the US and do not have travel plans?"

If I can't get a virtual interview, I'll probably go with jd_66's suggestion.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
So, I got the "Don't worry about it, you're good to go" email from them, just like Big got:
"We are pleased to inform you that your U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry program membership has been approved. You can begin using the program immediately."

Wouldn't it be great if the DR handled the three-card shuffle like that?