Public school teachers strike to protest for 20% raise

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Maestros-protestan-en-Educacion-Noticias-SIN-1024x571.png

Traffic for those circulating in access roads to the Ministry of Education on Av. Maximo Gomez was practically paralyzed. Eduardo Hidalgo, the president of the ADP, the ever-powerful public school teacher union, had called for public school teachers to not go to work and instead head to the Ministry of Education to demand a 20% increase in wages. The director of the union called for 120,000 teachers nationwide to participate in the protest instead of going to teach.

Public schools were off for Tuesday, 23 April 2024, affecting 2.6 million students nationwide.

The showing of power days before the presidential election seeks to twist the arm of Minister of Education Angel Hernandez. Hernandez replaced the infamous Roberto Furcal, a former president of the ADP who was the campaign manager for President Luis Abinader into the 2020 presidential election and his...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

David61

Mar 17, 2007
You have 25% of teacher that should not even teaching. The public school system needs to revamp the entire Curriculum and studies to match internacional standards. You have children in high school that don't even know how to tell time on a watch

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You have 25% of teacher that should not even teaching. The public school system needs to revamp the entire Curriculum and studies to match internacional standards. You have children in high school that don't even know how to tell time on a watch
There is nothing wrong with the curriculum, it is all on the teachers and directors. At one time, around 10 years ago teachers were underpaid. Now they are overpaid. A significant portion of teachers have absolutely no teaching ability, they are only in the profession for the money and the pension. The dedicated and capable teachers that care about their students do exist but they are forced into line by the union and aggressive good for nothing teachers.

Aug 21, 2007
We have been over and over this. My opinion is it should be merit pay…..a teacher improves test results by a certain percent and receives the increase.

But that will never happen.

If this goes through, I am finished. As a full time volunteer who puts in 60 hours a week, how can I work within a system such as this?

Reactions: colmcb

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There is nothing wrong with the curriculum, it is all on the teachers and directors. At one time, around 10 years ago teachers were underpaid. Now they are overpaid. A significant portion of teachers have absolutely no teaching ability, they are only in the profession for the money and the pension. The dedicated and capable teachers that care about their students do exist but they are forced into line by the union and aggressive good for nothing teachers.
they also dont work much. always a meeting and a day off EVERY week where we are.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We have been over and over this. My opinion is it should be merit pay…..a teacher improves test results by a certain percent and receives the increase.

If this goes through, I am finished. As a full time volunteer who puts in 60 hours a week, how can I work within a system such as this?
sorry could you explain your decision a little more.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

What about opening your own school like Bob and Mrs. Bob? Is that feasible?

Aug 21, 2007
What about opening your own school like Bob and Mrs. Bob? Is that feasible?
I have my own school. We are full with a waiting list. If a school is run correctly with fist world materials and supplies and competent teachers it is extremely hard to break even. Thank God I have donors and the non profit helps support the school. Also I have people paying scholarships for kids to attend, to insure there is a balance between wealthy children, children of professionals, middle class and poor. But I worry about making ends meet every month. My teachers work many more hours than public school teachers, produce learning 2 years ahead of public school children and the teachers are paid far less.

There is no justice in this country.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Some of those teachers are getting paid upwards of 90k pesos. They received a huge increase around 2016 to attract better teachers and rival most private schools (excluding the capital). I understand many of the schools are understaffed but what job is perfect?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have my own school. We are full with a waiting list. If a school is run correctly with fist world materials and supplies and competent teachers it is extremely hard to break even. Thank God I have donors and the non profit helps support the school. Also I have people paying scholarships for kids to attend, to insure there is a balance between wealthy children, children of professionals, middle class and poor. But I worry about making ends meet every month. My teachers work many more hours than public school teachers, produce learning 2 years ahead of public school children and the teachers are paid far less.

There is no justice in this country.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Arrest the union leaders, since they are breaking a contract.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
This is only a political game. The President of the ADP is from the PLD party and what they do one month before Election?Right vamos hacer Huelga.
In this country it's all about the money...

Aug 21, 2007
This is only a political game. The President of the ADP is from the PLD party and what they do one month before Election?Right vamos hacer Huelga.
In this country it's all about the money...
No. In this country it is all about politics! Then grab what money from the politicians that you can.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
No. In this country it is all about politics! Then grab what money from the politicians that you can.
The ex-mayor of POP Walter Musa is still, as far as I have seen, a rather strong figure in the area. When our elder son was going to this private school in POP, we frequently saw Musa at the school in all the celebrations and gatherings, perhaps one of his family members were going there as well or he had other business there... Suffice to say that things were going pretty well in that school and we were happy...

I'm sad that I even wrote the above, but I could not agree more with Lindsey, I've heard many stories for the ONLY reason for anyone to campaign is to get money eventually...

Reactions: LindseyKaufman