Feds detail ‘grandparents scam’ based in Dominican; 5 NYC residents among 16 accused

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Federal authorities charged 16 people — including five New Yorkers — in connection with a “grandparents scam” based in the Dominican Republic that allegedly stole millions of dollars from American seniors.

Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) led the investigation, which resulted in indictments against 11 men from the Dominican Republic and charges against five individuals in New York City, according to a news release from the agency.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Several years ago I received a call in DR from my very upset uncle in NY. He had received a call from a young guy who said he and my uncle’s grandson were in DR on vacation and that grandson was in jail. He needed bail money. Uncle told them his niece was in DR and she (me) would be right there (he always did think I walked on water). They mysteriously were cut off so he called me. I tried to calm him down, and told him to call his grandson. He was fine and at work in Houston.

No words for how angry I was.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree but given it's NY, I don't expect much to happen.

Years ago, someone tried to dupe my mom into something like that with my oldest. She had the foresight to call me and verify he was ok.
It is hard with the elderly sometimes...we knew one lady who had been taken for a lot of money. When they asked her why she kept answering the calls even though she was getting suspicious, she said she was lonely and wanted to talk to someone. It just brings it to another level of disgust when they prey on the elderly. We always told my mom no matter what anyone says or asks, hang up and call one of us to confirm anything.

Reactions: colmcb

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Federal authorities charged 16 people — including five New Yorkers — in connection with a “grandparents scam” based in the Dominican Republic that allegedly stole millions of dollars from American seniors.

Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) led the investigation, which resulted in indictments against 11 men from the Dominican Republic and charges against five individuals in New York City, according to a news release from the agency.

11 "men" from the DR and 5 "individuals" from NY. You mean "women" from NY???

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Until you have Elderly Parents , you dont know how EASY this is to perpetrate on them ..
Old People are like Children, they believe what they are told ,especially if its Bad news ..
The People who prey on them deserve a special Place in Hell .
I agree with you but it also may be because of the lack of tech knowledge from our parents. My mom and dad were not tech savvy, although my mom tried to learn. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see that scam working with me when I get to be over 80, if the Good Lord allows me to live that long.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For as long as I have been using a phone with caller ID I have NEVER spoken to anyone that is unidentified. If I happen to pick up they are gone in one second..............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For as long as I have been using a phone with caller ID I have NEVER spoken to anyone that is unidentified. If I happen to pick up they are gone in one second..............
Myself, I answer and give them the name and social security number of someone I don't like.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro and SKY

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I may have missed it but, I didn't notice any Dominican agency involved in the investigation.
Will these gutless vermin get extradited to the U.S. to face charges?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I may have missed it but, I didn't notice any Dominican agency involved in the investigation.
Will these gutless vermin get extradited to the U.S. to face charges?
According to the Listín Diario, two of the accused have accepted fast-track extradition.

Friend and/or family member, speaking to Filly the Kid, one to the accused:

"Diablo, mi pana, tengo entendido que te larga pa' lo' paíse".

Filly the Kid: "Así e', mi heLmano. ¿Qué te digo? Me largo sin teneL que solicitaL visa o pagaL pasaje de avión".

(Filly, planning his return to the island) "Voy a regresaL burlao, como un matatán: Compraré una yipeta y voy a bebeL to' lo' día. Tú supi'te".

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Same here senor Sky .. most of times even if i know the caller i don't pick it up....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nobody has my home phone number so no need to answer at all.