A Dominican posted this perspective on FB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Delanie Pacino

Top contributor
· doserSpton6tcum31a7m49lga60fa8cg5a7c542ll1a30ui1h519lhtu72h1 ·

I'm a 20 yo local, never had the chance to be out of the country, I come from two poor Dominican families, and reading some of the threads out here puts you into perspective about how people see things when they are in a different position, let me give you the local perspective: It feels like you're looking at us from above, observing our behaviors like in an Animal Planet documentary, ''Dominicans don't smile as much as they used to'', ''Things are so expensive now, I'd rather go to Thailand'' well, sorry for not fulfilling your vacation expectations, but we also dislike the noise, the augmenting lack of education, the corruption, the motorists, we feel unsafe, our justice system is useless so we ain't got no one to go to, and thanks to all of this and GENTRIFICATION, which you all play a part of, everyday things are more expensive to us, we can't afford shit, but the difference is we don't get to hop on a plane when the ''DR fatigue'' gets us, we gotta suck it in, and our government doesn't do shit either but we can't choose a better one, because this is a ''democracy'' despite people selling their vote for a pica pollo and 500 pesos.
But hey, I don't judge you, if I had the chance to earn a gringo salary and come to live on a tropical island where I'd live a good life, I would do the same as you, salvation is individual, and that doesn't mean y'all ain't got the right to dislike certain things either. I just think some of you are a bit delusional and insensitive with some of your comments, that's all...
Hope it helps to see other cosmovisions.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
It sounds a little like woe is me, not my fault. I understand what he or she is saying but 20 yr old? Do something about it if you aren’t already, try grass roots, start something, strive for changes, anything. Don’t ask me what, but you can do it.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It sounds a little like woe is me, not my fault. I understand what he or she is saying but 20 yr old? Do something about it if you aren’t already, try grass roots, start something, strive for changes, anything. Don’t ask me what, but you can do it.
he needs to get a job!! work 70 hours a week and report back.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I agree with a lot of what the writer is saying. Foreigners come here and complain about so many things and I have said to many people 'hey, if you don't like it, leave and don't come back!' This is my home, although not prefect, (perfection does not exist), I would much prefer to be living here than most other countries. Just look at all the BS that is going on in the world and look at how easy it is to live here. I have been here 21 years, married to a Dominican, my daughters are Dominican and my wife has a HUGE Dominican family. Most of them have very little money like so many others in the country, but they are happier than you or I, (and not once in the 19 years we have been together has anyone in the family asked me for money). They enjoy life without bitching and complaining just about anything that bugs them. They make the best out of what they have, not what they don't have and I respect them more than most foreigners that live here. Yes wages are low, yes there is corruption, yes there are health issues but they don't make that control their life. They get on with life and face whatever challenge is put in front of them without making a huge fuss.....many gringos here get mad for the smallest little thing and I look at them and just wish they would get the hell off the island!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I agree with a lot of what the writer is saying. Foreigners come here and complain about so many things and I have said to many people 'hey, if you don't like it, leave and don't come back!' This is my home, although not prefect, (perfection does not exist), I would much prefer to be living here than most other countries. Just look at all the BS that is going on in the world and look at how easy it is to live here. I have been here 21 years, married to a Dominican, my daughters are Dominican and my wife has a HUGE Dominican family. Most of them have very little money like so many others in the country, but they are happier than you or I, (and not once in the 19 years we have been together has anyone in the family asked me for money). They enjoy life without bitching and complaining just about anything that bugs them. They make the best out of what they have, not what they don't have and I respect them more than most foreigners that live here. Yes wages are low, yes there is corruption, yes there are health issues but they don't make that control their life. They get on with life and face whatever challenge is put in front of them without making a huge fuss.....many gringos here get mad for the smallest little thing and I look at them and just wish they would get the hell off the island!
I'm happy to say that I agree with you 100 %, very nice post!

Commenting on the first post, unless I'm proven wrong (I don't have FB), I actually refuse to believe a 20 yo Dominican from a poor family wrote that. There are too many things that based on what I've seen/heard, do not make sense...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The kids graduating from Santiago Christian school would write like that, or better. Certainly they talk English with an American accent, not New York though.
I have definitely heard Dominicans that speak clear English with an American accent that never left the DR.

People that don't believe the person never left the DR seems to miss the entire point of what they said.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure I believe he has never left the country. He writes like a certain sector of the New York population- and probably similar populations in other cities.

I have never heard a Dominican use so much American slang.
From what I can tell, the post is by a female in Las Terrenas.

There were posters who disputed her never leaving the island because her American English was too good.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I agree with Tee...I often question why some live in the DR when all they do is complain and most everything they say is negative. It is funny how some expats can complain about so many things when Dominicans have been dealing with those things all their lives. As for the FB post, maybe not the best written post but the point of it is clear.

eafanduiz

Nov 9, 2023
Miami
Not sure I believe he has never left the country. He writes like a certain sector of the New York population- and probably similar populations in other cities.

I have never heard a Dominican use so much American slang.
Mr Kaufman, you're missing the entire point here and behaving exactly like what he is writing about. Who cares if maybe he hasn't or has left the country, who cares how he writes. His message is loud and clear (for Christ's sake)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
"y'all ain't got the right to dislike certain thing" This person is clearly confused. Embracing the worst of gringo ghetto speak. Try being Dominican and not NYC ghetto. Believe me, my Dominican daughters do not talk this way. They have a future and whoever wrote the post can too. Just drop the basura facade.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Mr Kaufman, you're missing the entire point here and behaving exactly like what he is writing about. Who cares if maybe he hasn't or has left the country, who cares how he writes. His message is loud and clear (for Christ's sake)
I don't usually defend folks here, but if you had understood what Lindsey posted, you wouldn't have responded in the manner in which you did.

But that's not all, for if you only knew half of what Lindsey does for Dominican kids and their families, you'd be asking the moderators to erase your post.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That was indeed my point when I made the OP.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I have definitely heard Dominicans that speak clear English with an American accent that never left the DR.

People that don't believe the person never left the DR seems to miss the entire point of what they said.
I learned my first english in saudi arabia and I had an american accent. Before ever been in the US. It’s just where and how you learn it. The slang I learn in the DR and from my wife is not proper spanish either.

The nitpicking in this thread is a perfect example of the point of the fb post.