Getting a visa to Spain

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'm wondering here (could not find an exact answer), if your entry point into the Schengen area can be other country than who issued your visa? You can indeed freely travel once in the area, but can your entry point differ from the visa issuer land?

For US/ESTA, this is clear as this was the reason my wife's first ever Schengen visa in 2010 was not approved. I made the mistake (I was young and naive back then) of purchasing the cheapest flights that took the routing via MIA... Obviously without US visa that was not going to work and as she showed up with the itinerary I had provided to the embassy, she was sent straight back out... I was so embarrassed and angry at myself then...
The rules state that the country where´re apply should be either your point of entry or where you´re spending the most time on your trip. So, technically, that leaves a gap for having a different entry point. Having said that, I´ve heard of people being returned for similar reasons. Keep in mind that often people don´t tell you the whole story of what happened to them, so sometimes it´s hard to really know accurately why someone was returned, so, I Just tell people not to risk it. just enter through whichever country you applied for. Problem solved!

Reactions: Fulano2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The rules state that the country where´re apply should be either your point of entry or where you´re spending the most time on your trip. So, technically, that leaves a gap for having a different entry point. Having said that, I´ve heard of people being returned for similar reasons. Keep in mind that often people don´t tell you the whole story of what happened to them, so sometimes it´s hard to really know accurately why someone was returned, so, I Just tell people not to risk it. just enter through whichever country you applied for. Problem solved!
What if there is no flight from the DR to the country where you applied?

I suppose then it would be better to apply for a country that you are not spending the most time in, but where you arrive instead.
Of course if you need a sponsor in that country, then it could be a problem. And so it goes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are transferring to a flight right from where you land in Europe you do NOT go through customs and you are in a secure International terminal you only need the original Visa boarding a flight to your destination. NOT like the US...............

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I suppose then it would be better to apply for a country that you are not spending the most time in, but where you arrive instead.
Of course if you need a sponsor in that country, then it could be a problem. And so it goes.
Nooo. You won't get a visa until you show the flight tixs and hotel reservation.
Sponsor?? not sure what you mean. OP is "DR citizen to Spain". BUT no need to explain as that will lead to god knows what and another closure

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks, I know that rule, and the reason for my question was exactly that mentioned gap or gray area. Yes, my advise would be to simply enter via the country who issued the visa as well.

Reactions: johne

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I did not know this either, but here's the answer:

"

Visa: Quiero viajar primero (por ejemplo) a Alemania y luego a Francia. ¿En qué embajada tengo que solicitar mi visado?​

Tiene que solicitar su visado en la embajada cuyo país es su principal destino de viaje. Por ejemplo, 4 días de turismo en Frankfurt y luego 8 días de viaje de negocios en Francia: En este caso, póngase en contacto con la Embajada de Francia."

So what matters is where you spent the most of your time.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Nooo. You won't get a visa until you show the flight tixs and hotel reservation.
As a fact, this is not entirely correct, at least for German embassy. We've never purchased anything before applying for visas and have been always approved. You have to indicate your detailed plan and economic solvency, but purchased tickets.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
As a fact, this is not entirely correct, at least for German embassy. We've never purchased anything before applying for visas and have been always approved. You have to indicate your detailed plan and economic solvency, but purchased tickets.
Wish that was true for Dominican applying for visa to Spain. However, that is what is necessary.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Did you make your application to SPAIN for a Dominican citizen?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sponsor?? not sure what you mean. OP is "DR citizen to Spain". BUT no need to explain as that will lead to god knows what and another closure
I am talking about staying with relatives in the EU, no hotels.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Did you make your application to SPAIN for a Dominican citizen?
No, nor did I state anywhere that this would be the case. In fact, the embassy I referred to was mentioned in my post. I replied to the post of windeguy regarding Schengen visa (not in particular for Spain) for the case when there are no flights to the destination country.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Wish that was true for Dominican applying for visa to Spain. However, that is what is necessary.
Understood, I was only referring to the particular embassy we've only ever dealt with, which was clearly mentioned in my post.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No, nor did I state anywhere that this would be the case. In fact, the embassy I referred to was mentioned in my post. I replied to the post of windeguy regarding Schengen visa (not in particular for Spain) for the case when there are no flights to the destination country.
Thanks Josh. Understood. I responded quickly after windy post as I didn't want my OP re: Spain to go off topic.

Reactions: josh2203

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Well then that doesn't make any sense, because if you already have a VALID Schengen visa, no matter which country approved it, you don't need a "special" visa to enter just into Spain, that's just NOT how it works. If you have a VALID Schengen visa you are eligible to enter any of the member countries, which Spain is a part of.
well crazy as it sounds if the flight lands in spain you need a seperate one for there too.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
well crazy as it sounds if the flight lands in spain you need a seperate one for there too.
Please refer to post #67, that should answer the question. What matters is what is your principal destination in terms of time spent there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please refer to post #67, that should answer the question. What matters is what is your principal destination in terms of time spent there.
Which is in contradiction to the post by Drperson.

I already knew the visa should be for the country where the most time is spent, not the country where the plane arrives. No separate visa is needed.

Reactions: Fulano2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I don't believe that a Dominican changing planes at an airport in Spain needs a transit Visa.

Do I need a visa if I am only transiting?

Which countries need transit visa for Spain?

Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, India, Liberia, Mali, Republic of the Congo, Sierra Leone, Syria, Togo and Yemen. Holders of passports issued by the Palestinian Authority also require a visa

And more of the same.

Which countries do I need a transit visa?

Transit Visa Required Countries
  • Afghanistan.
  • Albania.
  • Bolivia.
  • Cuba.
  • Democratic Republic of Congo.
  • Dominica.
  • Eritrea.