CB Radio

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Does anyone here use a CB radio?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I saw them in limited use in the DR circa late 90's.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I had one back then. It was fun to chat with far-away folks on Ham radios. It was ruined by folks who would key their mic and transmit music.

They are worth their weight when there's communication issues.

I've still got mine (stuff collector, remember?) and am thinking about installing it in one of the trucks just for old times' sake.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Once, while rummaging through an antique store in Houston, I found a Grundig CB radio. I hesitated, then walked away.
Went back the next day, but it was too late: SOLD

• Sad
Reactions: bachata

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Grundig. There's a name I haven't heard in ages!!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I had one in my truck back in the 90s. Realistic CB with a K40 antenna. My handle was Rainman.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
I have a HAM Radio License in the US. Went to El Cibao 3 weeks ago and tried to connect to the local repeater. Didn't work. I may have been too far. I'll try again next time. I took my Boafeng, and will try to connect with local Hams for help.

Like a previous poster said, when comms go down, no cell phone, etc.. a HAM radio/CB is a must!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have a HAM Radio License in the US. Went to El Cibao 3 weeks ago and tried to connect to the local repeater. Didn't work. I may have been too far. I'll try again next time. I took my Boafeng, and will try to connect with local Hams for help.

Like a previous poster said, when comms go down, no cell phone, etc.. a HAM radio/CB is a must!
Perhaps the repeater is sub tone controlled.

If so, you will need to program your radio to send the correct CTCSS tone with your transmission, or the repeater will not respond.

Reactions: lasalsa

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Once, while rummaging through an antique store in Houston, I found a Grundig CB radio. I hesitated, then walked away.
Went back the next day, but it was too late: SOLD
I grew up listening my uncle AM/ FM / Short Wave Grundig radio.

If I ever find one like this in a thrift store I will jump it.

JJ

Reactions: Lucifer

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
CB radios were very popular in DR back in the days, I have VHF in my vehicles for about 20 years. Low and private frequency.

JJ

Reactions: Lucifer

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I had a portable CB in my pick-up and used it all the time for road trips in USA. Found lots of great places thanks to that little thing. My handle was Just Me, my usually traveling pal was Coco Gal and my son was Arm Pit.

I never noticed CBs being used here in DR. I'll have to ask some of the truck drivers about it.

Reactions: Lucifer and bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I had a portable CB in my pick-up and used it all the time for road trips in USA. Found lots of great places thanks to that little thing. My handle was Just Me, my usually traveling pal was Coco Gal and my son was Arm Pit.

I never noticed CBs being used here in DR. I'll have to ask some of the truck drivers about it.
Yes they are used in DR open frequency.

JJ

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I once asked my drivers if they wanted one in their truck, and they all pretty much said "for what?"