Renting a car in the USA using a DR Driving Licence

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The conclusion must be that it’s still fine to use a DR license in FL. I have only recently heard of the requirement of an international one. I don’t know if it’s possible to get the international one in the DR.
I got one about 5 years ago because our pilot had one and he got me one good for 10 years. You can specify how long otherwise it is good for one year. Cost me about $300 and never came out of my wallet. Waste of money.....................He took photos of my DR license and some form he had and got it..............

Reactions: aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The conclusion must be that it’s still fine to use a DR license in FL. I have only recently heard of the requirement of an international one. I don’t know if it’s possible to get the international one in the DR.
Let's hope an International Driver's Permit is never required by any US states. It is just a translation of your license. But if for some asinine reason it is needed:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let's hope an International Driver's Permit is never required by any US states. It is just a translation of your license. But if for some asinine reason it is needed:
One of your major "overstayers" in the DR (over 30 years) had never had a valid license. When I got the IDL he got one also and drives with it here. He got stopped 2 times since and they accepted it. They were very impressed............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One of your major "overstayers" in the DR (over 30 years) had never had a valid license. When I got the IDL he got one also and drives with it here. He got stopped 2 times since and they accepted it. They were very impressed............
Ya can't fix stupid.

Reactions: SKY

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
An International Driving Permit is NOT a requirement, only recommended as noted above by many car rental agencies. You can get one in the Dr...see my post #11 (just saw someone else replied and posted a link for this too...sorry about that)

Reactions: drstock and aarhus
Jan 9, 2004
An International Driving Permit is NOT a requirement, only recommended as noted above by many car rental agencies. You can get one in the Dr...see my post #11 (just saw someone else replied and posted a link for this too...sorry about that)
As I noted above regarding the need for an IDP........depends.

Even beyond that are state specific requirements to drive legally.....here is one states take on its requirements courtesy of a client who operates multiple Enterprise rent a car locations;

Under MGL, Chapter 90, Section 10 , all foreign licensed drivers are subject to the following requirements when operating a vehicle in Massachusetts:

• Must be at least 16 years of age.
  • Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license when operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.
  • May operate a motor vehicle in Massachusetts of the same type in which licensed to operate in any other state or country.
  • If the foreign license is not in English or does not have an English translation, must have one of the following:
  • Must not be suspended or revoked.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Maybe a good idea for the less experienced and nervous traveler.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I got one about 5 years ago because our pilot had one and he got me one good for 10 years. You can specify how long otherwise it is good for one year. Cost me about $300 and never came out of my wallet. Waste of money.....................He took photos of my DR license and some form he had and got it..............
They appear to be good for one year from the link I posted.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They appear to be good for one year from the link I posted.
That is what I said. But you can extend the time for more money. That is what my pilot did for me.........And there are many places to purchase one................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I noted above regarding the need for an IDP........depends.

Even beyond that are state specific requirements to drive legally.....here is one states take on its requirements courtesy of a client who operates multiple Enterprise rent a car locations;

Under MGL, Chapter 90, Section 10 , all foreign licensed drivers are subject to the following requirements when operating a vehicle in Massachusetts:

• Must be at least 16 years of age.
  • Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license when operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.
  • May operate a motor vehicle in Massachusetts of the same type in which licensed to operate in any other state or country.
  • If the foreign license is not in English or does not have an English translation, must have one of the following:
  • Must not be suspended or revoked.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I am quite certain I used my DR license only to rent a car in MA.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Of course I don't have a clue.....you said so.

Nonsense! No one has to believe me.....but they better not believe you without first verifying with their car rental company.....because it "depends" and Hertz' requirements are quite clear.....if you bothered to read them;

But hey its nonsense.....you said so lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Cool. I just need my DR license and my US passport. No problem and no IDP!!
At least with HERTZ. I recently rented with them on my last US trip. I only needed to show my DR license.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Just for grins, I just now tried Google Translate on a photo of my cedula, and it worked well. I'm guessing a DL looks a lot like a cedula, so it would be easy enough to do this and keep the translation on a phone just in case. Foolproof, no, but at least it's free!

Reactions: drstock

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just for grins, I just now tried Google Translate on a photo of my cedula, and it worked well. I'm guessing a DL looks a lot like a cedula, so it would be easy enough to do this and keep the translation on a phone just in case. Foolproof, no, but at least it's free!

You realize they're different colors, right?

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
You realize they're different colors, right?
I didn't mean to pass off the cedula as the DL. I meant the format is probably about the same, so Google Translate should work for translating the DL into English too. Sorry for the confusion, I can see how what I wrote wasn't clear

Jan 9, 2004
Cool. I just need my DR license and my US passport. No problem and no IDP!!
At least with HERTZ. I recently rented with them on my last US trip. I only needed to show my DR license.
Reiterating my point above...it depends.

Many of Hertz locations are NOT company owned and have different rules. I can tell you for sure, certain Enterprise locations would not rent without an IDP/IDL.

The reasons as explained to me by a multi location franchisee for Enterprise......imagine a 19 year old counter person looking at a license in Farsi/Mandarin/Japanese etc., and trying to ascertain information from it. Compounding the issue is when the person in front of them speaks no English.

It only takes a little effort to call ahead and verify............or you can take your chances.

It probably helps quite a bit if you produce a DR drivers license and passport and also speak English.

Finally, as an FYI, beginning next May 2025, US citizens will need a so called US REAL ID drivers license or a valid passport, to fly domestically and quite possibly to rent a car. This issue may arise for those US citizens living in the DR but still having a US drivers license/US passport......and there are rumors that REAL ID will be expanded to other areas.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So, just to be on the safe side, I applied online to start the International Licence and got back the list of requirements, one off which is to have at least one year to run on your national licence. That makes sense, as the IDL is for a year, but my DR licence does not last a year. I haven't got time to both renew the licence and get the international one, so I'll just have to hope for the best, since most people here say I shouldn't have a problem.

Reactions: aarhus