Lax government regulations for Chinese business

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Negocios-chinos-Diario-Libre-1024x571.png

Diario Libre continues to cover the lax attitude of Dominican authorities that seem to look the other way and allow new-to-market Chinese businesses to install and operate in violation of Dominican laws.

The Dominican Association of Commercial Malls (ONEC) has consistently complained the rules applied to their members are not applied to Chinese businesses.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

31 January 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
All true but without the chinese competition they (the Dominican Importers) would slaughter us even more with their outrageous prices .
Even if you do not buy from this chinese companys, we all benefit from their existence. We recently bought 200 4" Metal Cutting Discs for 7 RD$ each vs 100 -150 RD$ at a regular Ferreteria.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Some thieves have figured out that Chinese folks may be sitting on a lot of cash in their homes.

These guys went to a tower to find out:

Seven armed people entered the Nicole IX tower early today, in the La Esperilla sector, National District, gagged the security and lobby personnel, broke the cameras and entered several apartments, where they stole belongings at gunpoint. . According to a statement from the Tower's administration, the unscrupulous people arrived in a white Hyundai Tucson vehicle with an unidentified license plate, opened the door with their own control and asked in which apartment some Chinese lived.
“Once they entered parking lot 505 and parked, they proceeded to gag the security and lobby staff at gunpoint, asking about the Chinese and which apartment they lived in. They took both security officers to the employee dining room, being guarded by one of the robbers with a firearm. Two other of these assailants remained in the lobby, watching the cameras,” the document indicates. The statement continues: “At the same time, three more of them took the elevator until they reached apartment no. 805, entering through the window of the washing area, stealing belongings at gunpoint and continuing to ask about the Chinese.
After this, they entered apartment no. 905 through the emergency staircase and window of the washing area, also stealing several valuable belongings, at gunpoint the three unscrupulous people continued asking about the Chinese and if their children were Chinese.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Wow. Pretty scary this is. I think this is the firt robbery like this I've heard about targeting the Chinese and also robbing an apartment in a high-rise. Id La Esperilla a nice area?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And, they've identified them already, and caught three of them already, in less than 24 hours. They are controlled by a prisoner in La Victoria:

Police agents from the Central Investigation Directorate (Dicrim) captured two of the five members of a dangerous criminal gang dedicated to committing violent robberies in towers and residences in the capital, in the early hours of the morning.

The capture occurred through intelligence, tracking, and analysis of the evidence collected during the investigation process, with the firm objective of dismantling this criminal structure and guaranteeing the tranquility of citizens, according to the press release.

In that sense, those arrested are José Miguel Olivero Placencio (a) Chiri and Edwin Ariel Cabrera Kelly (a) El Abuelo. While the fugitives are Ruddy Alberto Domínguez Coco (a) Cabeza, José Alejandro Ogando Serrano (a) Alex and/or El Rompedor, as well as the one nicknamed Carpuela and/or Moreno.

In addition, through the investigations, the investigating agents identified the leader of the criminal group as Juan Israel Sánchez González (a) Chichi Prenda, who is being held in the National Penitentiary of La Victoria, for several acts that are attributed to him, similar to those current, so it appears with seven records for robbery, armed robberies, association of criminals, from the years 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020 and 2023.

Recovered objects

Among the objects recovered during the investigation process are the sums of 150,000 pesos and 250 dollars; three watches, a Rolex, a Bulova, and a Cartier.

During the arrest of Olivero Placencio (a) Chiri in the Villas Agrícolas sector of the National District, a gray Nissan Note vehicle, license plate No. AA19084 was seized. While in the Villa Consuelo sector, the white Daihatsu car, license plate No. AA21345 was recovered, which was left abandoned by the fugitive Domínguez Coco (a) Cabeza.

Two coats were found inside, used by the criminals at the time of committing the assaults.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Of course they caught them.
As I've said repeatedly over the years.
Ever wonder how the PN are able to identify/ catch the guys who
commit these high profile crimes so quickly?
They are fully aware of who is doing what in this country.
It simply a matter of going after them.
The fact they were looking for Chinese is very telling.
100% an inside job. Expect more arrest over the next couple of days for sure.
The Chinese pay their bills. These perps are in for a rough ride.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Of course they caught them.
As I've said repeatedly over the years.
Ever wonder how the PN are able to identify/ catch the guys who
commit these high profile crimes so quickly?
They are fully aware of who is doing what in this country.
It simply a matter of going after them.
The fact they were looking for Chinese is very telling.
100% an inside job. Expect more arrest over the next couple of days for sure.
The Chinese pay their bills. These perps are in for a rough ride.
I think you "think" you have knowledge of the inner workings of the PN, but most likely not. 🙄

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There are some Chinese businesses just outside of Boca Chica which pay Haitians 450 pesos/day for manual labor. These people have no shame.
The Haitians don't have to accept the work. They won't have to worry soon, either because the DR has grown weary of the lack of support from the international community and appears to be setting plans for a forced exodus.

Reactions: XQT

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know I know, you've been here 12 years. You lived in Cristo Rey. You're an international man of mystery!
International man of mystery?
Actually I've been very open about my past on this forum.
I've nothing to hide.

I can see you are in one of your moods today. Have a good one 😎

• Haha

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
All true but without the chinese competition they (the Dominican Importers) would slaughter us even more with their outrageous prices .
Even if you do not buy from this chinese companys, we all benefit from their existence. We recently bought 200 4" Metal Cutting Discs for 7 RD$ each vs 100 -150 RD$ at a regular Ferreteria.

Exactly,
People and governments have to compete in the world as it is.
Obviously the DR is a poor country without power and is dependent of foreign imports for energy, know-how and products.

If the gob.do wants to enforce existing laws, it will have to do so.
Very few DR laws are enforced properly, or respected by the Dominican Public.

Respect for laws will happen if the government is competent and forces compliance of laws by fines to modify behaviours.
Going on past performance, this will not happen in the near future.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Wow. Pretty scary this is. I think this is the firt robbery like this I've heard about targeting the Chinese and also robbing an apartment in a high-rise. Id La Esperilla a nice area?
This isn't the first thing that happened, sometimes they like to keep quiet to maintain the prestige. But as mentioned in earlier posts, specific people are targeted. inside jobs. I've only heard of one random petty crime in 8 years. (robbery on moto)

La Esperilla is nice and quiet area it's just not "central" like Naco & Piantini.