Spaghetti

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have never been a fan of Dominican spaghetti. Seen many versions of it but have never liked it. Always way too salty for me, and if it has evaporated milk in it, forget it. I too have seen ketchup used along with corn, cut up "hot dogs", things one would never associate with spaghetti. Lol...AE I am sure being Italian you cringe at seeing Dominican spaghetti.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have never been a fan of Dominican spaghetti. Seen many versions of it but have never liked it. Always way too salty for me, and if it has evaporated milk in it, forget it. I too have seen ketchup used along with corn, cut up "hot dogs", things one would never associate with spaghetti. Lol...AE I am sure being Italian you cringe at seeing Dominican spaghetti.

And most Dominican pizza. But being from NY, pizza (and bagels) aren’t the same elsewhere. Of course, Vesuvio did it all right……..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why would anyone buy Dominican Spaghetti anyway? There are tons of places to get real Italian Pasta here........................Not like it is expensive either.............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why would anyone buy Dominican Spaghetti anyway? There are tons of places to get real Italian Pasta here........................Not like it is expensive either.............

I don’t think anyone is talking about ordering it in a restaurant. Many of us have large extended Dominican families, and they cook. Or we see the pots of spaghetti on nearby tables at the beach. Half the problem is the spaghetti they sell in supermarkets leaves a lot to be desired, at least the Dominican brands. Most stores also carry a couple of Italian brands too, like DeCecco.

My pasta and my big cans of tomatoes and puree arrive in blue barrels usually. And solid white albacore tuna, but that’s for another thread 😂

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don’t think anyone is talking about ordering it in a restaurant. Many of us have large extended Dominican families, and they cook. Or we see the pots of spaghetti on nearby tables at the beach. Half the problem is the spaghetti they sell in supermarkets leaves a lot to be desired, at least the Dominican brands. Most stores also carry a couple of Italian brands too, like DeCecco.

My pasta and my big cans of tomatoes and puree arrive in blue barrels usually. And solid white albacore tuna, but that’s for another thread 😂
We have 2 Italian store within spitting distance of us in Boca Chica. Expensive but worth it. It's also where I get my anchovies now.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Lucky you. I found the same thing in Dominicus, lots of Italians live there (fantastic restaurants too)
When I was a kid we had native Italian neighbors. My parents were friendly with them and they showed my mom all kinds of Italian cooking hacks. They also make the best ravioli in the history of the universe.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
None of the Dominican pastas that you buy in supermarkets, whether it's spaghetti, linguini, penne, fusilli, etc., are a good as the Italian pastas - no body and they lack flavor.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If it's noodles then thin is better. Capellini is my choice. For sauce, good quality tomatoes then add whatever you want.leftover corn from the cob is a favourite plus other leftover veggies...

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
None of the Dominican pastas that you buy in supermarkets, whether it's spaghetti, linguini, penne, fusilli, etc., are a good as the Italian pastas - no body and they lack flavor.
It’s the flour the DR uses. Italian pasta is from durum wheat semolina, and pressed in bronze moulds, so it gets a rough surface to stick to the sauce.
Personally there is only one brand that comes close to it in the DR supermarkets I know, that’s RUMMO, recognized in Italië by the federación of chefs.

Reactions: cavok

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It’s the flour the DR uses. Italian pasta is from durum wheat semolina, and pressed in bronze moulds, so it gets a rough surface to stick to the sauce.
Personally there is only one brand that comes close to it in the DR supermarkets I know, that’s RUMMO, recognized in Italië by the federación of chefs.

The flour is probably why most bread in DR sucks too. No crusty Italian semolina bread to be found. Closest thing was the bread at Tipico Bonao.

Reactions: cavok and SKY

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
RUMMO is good, organic is available. We never eat spaghetti, but do eat farfelle, penne rigate, and fusilli, usually with olives, tuna, and parmesan cheese, cooked al dente. my wife doesn't like tomatoes, so no tomato sauce. I have eaten the Dominican pasta, and it seems more starchy and less flavorful. Dominicans in general, overcook everything. Having said that, we have our lunch meal delivered and the woman that cooks it does an excellent job.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Great thread.
Thanks keepcoming.
I was part of the generation that grew up believing that the only way to eat spaghetti was just like the picture on the Catelli can.
11714268823582.jpg

Plopped right on top of the pasta.
lol.
I have come a long way since then.
Sauté just about anything, throw in the cooked (al dente) spaghetti, mix and top with grated Parmesan.
A nice glass of merlot and life is good.
Yum.
Burp.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Sort like Human dog food?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
RUMMO is good, organic is available. We never eat spaghetti, but do eat farfelle, penne rigate, and fusilli, usually with olives, tuna, and parmesan cheese, cooked al dente. my wife doesn't like tomatoes, so no tomato sauce. I have eaten the Dominican pasta, and it seems more starchy and less flavorful. Dominicans in general, overcook everything. Having said that, we have our lunch meal delivered and the woman that cooks it does an excellent job.
I sometimes cook al ragù di carne but of course with tagliatelle.
Carbonara, sometimes, but as the two women are not fond of eggs, I hate to say, but I do it with cream, but if they like it that way…
I like it like you do it, with tuna, with kalamata olives and garlic.
Or just with green peppers and garlic, with pappardelle.