Inauru Chocolate

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
These sisters came to me a couple of years ago with the idea of setting up a business selling chocolate in a free zone environment. I thought they were a little crazy at first, because they didn't have the slightest idea of how to go about it, and no idea at all of how Free Zones work.
I told them they should investigate the idea of renting a building themselves and go from there.
They worked with the administration, got them to build a building for them, and set up shop.
This is the result:

Lots of hard work, and now are reaping the benefits, big time. All it takes is a dream.

Aug 21, 2007
These sisters came to me a couple of years ago with the idea of setting up a business selling chocolate in a free zone environment. I thought they were a little crazy at first, because they didn't have the slightest idea of how to go about it, and no idea at all of how Free Zones work.
I told them they should investigate the idea of renting a building themselves and go from there.
They worked with the administration, got them to build a building for them, and set up shop.
This is the result:

Lots of hard work, and now are reaping the benefits, big time. All it takes is a dream.

And who are we “experts” on dr1 to laugh at or put down anyone’s dream. Shame on us for all the discouraging posts over the years. If we never try, we never know.

Thanks JD for posting. I will support them.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This is the result:

JD, do you know where we can buy it locally?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
JD, do you know where we can buy it locally?
Nope. I haven't seen it in stores, and the Free Zone setup is not for making chocolate; it's only the processing of the crop from farmers.

Last edited:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
This is the result:

Please let them know I'm still single thanks Pal!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Got mine today!
inauru.jpg

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting going through their website. The 70g bar retails for US$10 a bar, which is what a good quality bar will usually cost you. They may have to have a little cheaper version for the Dominican market. Their facility is impressive and it was a substantial investment. They mention they buy cacao in seven regions of the country but most of it comes from around Villa Altagracia. Another interesting point on the site is they pay the farmers over a 12 month period rather than all during the harvest seasons which are April-June (75%) and Oct-Jan.(25%). They don't specify if they are doing their own fermentation but one the labels had Zorzal on the front which is near SFM and they would buy bags of fermented and dried beans from them. Distributed out of Puerto Rico and truffles are made for them by and unnamed chocolatier in the US. This sudden change in cacao prices will definitely test them at the beginning.