Symbolic crackdown on five Chinese businesses for tax evasion

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Comercios-Chinos-clausurados-Listin-Diario-1024x674.png

The Department of Customs (DGA) and the Department of Taxes (DGII) cracked down on five Chinese-owned businesses located in Greater Santo Domingo and Santiago for irregularities in compliance with government regulations. For years, Dominican-owned businesses have complained the Dominican government authorities look the other way when dealing with thousands of Chinese businesses that have flooded the market offering low-priced goods and carrying out large non-reported cash transactions. Dominican-owned business spokespeople say the Dominican government has been lenient in requiring that the Chinese comply with labor, import and tax laws.

As reported, the operation was carried out because the businesses had carried out bank transactions for around RD$4 billion while reporting much less. The press release on the operation states that an investigation revealed that...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jumbo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Symbolic?
Lol, what a joke.
Hundreds of Chinese businesses operate the same way.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
is there any quality Chinese product manufactured and sold?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I took a drive over to West San Cristobal yesterday. There are Chinese businesses in abundance on that side.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What ethnic group is next in line for observation under the DGA and DGII magnifying glass?

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Does anybody notice how the woman who killed the Chinese guy was finally caught in Europe and nothing has been heard about her since?

Franyelis Furca is her name.

Last edited:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Back to the subject matter, I noticed when I was in that part of Duarte last week that a) a few of the businesses were advertising for staff with signs saying "must be Dominican with cedula" - which is a change as most of their employees are Haitians, and therefore no tax being paid and b) the names of the SRL companies that I paid were all completely different to the names I paid a couple of months ago, so basically they are opening companies and closing them quickly.

I do think these symbolic raids will ripple through and bring some change. Whenever DGII does raids in this way, everyone gets to know about it and tightens up on the way they are evading tax - of course everyone is evading tax, but they just do it a bit less obviously.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A few more tossed in the mix.
Going forward I think these Chinese
business owners will be making fewer
deposits and hoarding a lot more of that good old fashion cash.