Renewing driver's license

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I need to renew my driver's license and I'll be doing it in Puerto Plata. Is it true that I need to make an appointment online? I can't just show up like the old days? I know that the office has moved. Thanks.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Just show up. All the offices are under the same government department. I just showed up and was out in less than 40 minutes with the health questionnaire, hearing and sight test.

Reactions: Seamonkey and SKY

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In the DR it isn't the same in each hour, shift of people, day of the week, etc. At your risk.............
It is set in stone in La Vega. It is on the website and on big signs at the office. My wife already had her appointment and when I asked they said you have to book youe appointment though the website. Large population in the province of La Vega.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just show up. All the offices are under the same government department. I just showed up and was out in less than 40 minutes with the health questionnaire, hearing and sight test.
Can someone who renewed this year post or PM me in more details about the various tests needed for the renewal?

My Spanish is not very good and I´m way past retirement age.

Thank you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Can someone who renewed this year post or PM me in more details about the various tests needed for the renewal?

My Spanish is not very good and I´m way past retirement age.

Thank you.
I renewed in January. I will give you a rundown as best as I can recall. First when you enter you will see a sign Pago. Where you pay or show you have paid. I paid there with a DR bank card. Easy, you don't need to speak, just give your old license and pay. Next 2 feet to the right was a station with a fingerprint scanner. Also easy. Then the guy will tell you in Spanish to turn your phone off. So turn it off. Next you go to a different room for the tests. First one is health. You get an IPad with questions, all in Spanish. Each one the answer is either SI or No. There were about 27. Every one was NO except I believe at the end when they ask you to confirm your answers. If you click SI on ANY health one you might have a problem.

Next and lastly you go to a small room for hearing and vision. First hearing, you get earphones and a buzzer. You simply press the buzzer when you hear something. Simple enough, no Spanish necessary. Then vision, you look through a lens and say numbers, not words. So no Spanish. Last thing was they blur your eyes and say in Spanish tell me what you see after. It was a Red stop light. Just say Rojo. Then you passed and go back to the other room and get you new license. Took me 30 minutes.

Reactions: melphis and colmcb

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks Sky!

I hope I can tell when I get to the confirm answer question or two.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks Sky!

I hope I can tell when I get to the confirm answer question or two.
It might have been the last question. I am sure if you clicked no they would help you as it is obviously wrong. And there may be someone there that speaks English. Don't worry, anyone with a pulse can pass the health test.................

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
It might have been the last question. I am sure if you clicked no they would help you as it is obviously wrong. And there may be someone there that speaks English. Don't worry, anyone with a pulse can pass the health test.................
A friend renewed hers recently. She failed the hearing test. SO SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE AT NIGHT. :cool::cool:

You can't make this sh*t up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A friend renewed hers recently. She failed the hearing test. SO SHE IS NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE AT NIGHT. :cool::cool:

That is because the Government knows that a lot of stereos play loud music at night. So your hearing is essential................

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

I failed the hearing test and they gave me a paper too see an "Ear, nose and throat doctor" Otolaryngologist.
The doctor passed me a hearing test and explain its normal with age lost of High Frequency but all right to drive.
Went back to Drivers office with Doctor note, no test and gave me Driving permit.

This was a few years ago when they started the hearing test. I wonder how Dominicans can pass hearing test when you see all the loud music especially in cars? I hope they relax the requirement for my next renewal.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I almost failed my hearing test about two years ago because I couldn't hear the test tones much above 3000Hz with my right ear. Anyone driving with their radio on and windows up would never be able to hear a sound that faint at that frequency anyway - especially the idiots blasting their car stereos that you can hear coming a half block away with their windows rolled up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I almost failed my hearing test about two years ago because I couldn't hear the test tones much above 3000Hz with my right ear. Anyone driving with their radio on and windows up would never be able to hear a sound that faint at that frequency anyway - especially the idiots blasting their car stereos that you can hear coming a half block away with their windows rolled up.
Is it true that deaf people cannot get a license at all?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Mine was the same as SKY with one exception. I took a liberty on the eye exam. I am scheduled for cataract surgery and I couldn't read the letters on my right eye. I asked the girl for a tissue as the lense was dirty. When she turned around, I peeked with my left eye. Passed the test.
What ever it takes 😉🤓

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I went to Intrant in Puerto Plata this morning around 10am and what a disaster that area is. I drove around for 45 minutes looking for a parking spot.....nothing. I decided to go into the large parking lot in front of Intrant. Drove in there for 5 minutes and it was full of buses, cars and old show cars. I had to pay 25 pesos to exit although I told the guy his lot was full. I told him he was a ladrone and left. I hate Puerto Plata for a reason and it's its lack of parking and street signage. I'll got back someday early in the morning.

Reactions: cavok and drstock
I need to renew my driver's license and I'll be doing it in Puerto Plata. Is it true that I need to make an appointment online? I can't just show up like the old days? I know that the office has moved. Thanks.
I always renew my Dominican license in Nagua because the INTRANT office is never crowded and you’re in and out fast. I make the appointment online ahead of time and then take a ride out there the day prior and stay in Hotel Sinaí which is walking distance from the INTRANT office. I’m due to renew mine again in September of this year.

Reactions: colmcb and JD Jones