A Dominican posted this perspective on FB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cozumel is one of my favorites, along with Tulum, playa del Carmen.. ect.
We went to that region. Only place in the world I was ever robbed. Wife hated it in Mexico despite craving to go there for years.
And I did like Isla de las Mujeres for a visit. They did have good Mexican food, unlike the DR which essentially has none.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
We went to that region. Only place in the world I was ever robbed. Wife hated it in Mexico despite craving to go there for years.
And I did like Isla de las Mujeres for a visit. They did have good Mexican food, unlike the DR which essentially has none.
The DR has a lot of Dominican food. I guess it’s not surprising that they have a lot of Mexican food in Mexico.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The DR has a lot of Dominican food. I guess it’s not surprising that they have a lot of Mexican food in Mexico.
I understand you didn't get the joke. Yes the food in Cancun and other regions was quite good. Far better than Dominican food here, or pseudo tex-mex wanna be places. on the island that spice forgot. I mean people actually eat boiled plantains here. But, that better food is no good reason to leave the DR for Mexico.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I understand you didn't get the joke. Yes the food in Cancun and other regions was quite good. Far better than Dominican food here, or pseudo tex-mex wanna be places. on the island that spice forgot. I mean people actually eat boiled plantains here. But, that better food is no good reason to leave the DR for Mexico.
Mine was a joke too. So you moved to the wrong place looking for Mexican food. In Florida you could have gotten all the TexMex you dreamt of.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mine was a joke too. So you moved to the wrong place looking for Mexican food. In Florida you could have gotten all the TexMex you dreamt of.
I never had any good Mexican food in Florida. I did have really bad Cuban food, almost the same lack of flavor as DR food. I came from California to the DR and they did have pretty good Mexican food in California.

I am not old enough to live in Florida. Probably never will be.

Reactions: Lucifer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I never had any good Mexican food in Florida. I did have really bad Cuban food, almost the same lack of flavor as DR food. I came from California to the DR and they did have pretty good Mexican food in California.

I am not old enough to live in Florida. Probably never will be.
What ? - don't you have more wrinkles than a bloodhound !
Aren't you old enough to remember "I like Ike" ?
And Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy".
And Ice Boxes (not refrigerators) and black and white TV
And no internet (Al Gore invented that)

• Haha
Reactions: SKY

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Campeche and Merida are both very nice cities to visit and are considered safe. When we visited two years ago, we felt safe, had great food and beer. Listened to good live music. I am always amazed at how much people complain about insignificant things. According to my wife, Dominicans hate on anyone that succeeds.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
What ? - don't you have more wrinkles than a bloodhound !
Aren't you old enough to remember "I like Ike" ?
And Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy".
And Ice Boxes (not refrigerators) and black and white TV
And no internet (Al Gore invented that)
Considering that Windy's a musician, he prolly remembers when he played "Stompin' at the Savoy" pre-WWII, and/or being the opening act for the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
I bet he once shook hands with Thelonious Monk.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Considering that Windy's a musician, he prolly remembers when he played "Stompin' at the Savoy" pre-WWII, and/or being the opening act for the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
I bet he once shook hands with Thelonious Monk.
Or 'Begin the Benguin'

• Haha

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Campeche and Merida are both very nice cities to visit and are considered safe. When we visited two years ago, we felt safe, had great food and beer. Listened to good live music. I am always amazed at how much people complain about insignificant things. According to my wife, Dominicans hate on anyone that succeeds.
You mean other Dominicans or anyone?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not just according to your wife, Dominican envy has a special place. Many people can be doing good for themselves, but if their neighbor is doing better that is a problem for them. It’s one of the things fueling immigration of Dominicans to the USA.

Many Dominicans would get something not because they actually want it, but because it would be throwing “vainas” to the neighbor. Dominican society from top to bottom functions like that. The only difference is that at the bottom they don’t have the resources as at the top, so it will be done with cheaper things like fake designer watches or jewelry to name one.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The only difference is that at the bottom they don’t have the resources as at the top, so it will be done with cheaper things like fake designer watches or jewelry to name one.
According to articles I've read, envy and resentment of successful folks and overachievers are almost universal traits.
I'm Dumb-minican, and I'm envious of math geniuses and saxophone virtuosos.

On fake jewelry:

I'm currently wearing a CHEAP US$84.00 Rolex GMT-Master II (Pepsi) knock-off watch, with a fake jubilee bracelet to boot.

Folks usually say, "Hey, nice watch!" or "Nice Pepsi!"

My response: "It's not a Rolex; it's a Pagani Design. In other words: a fake Rolex."

Congrats to all of you who could afford the real horological masterpieces (Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin...).

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
According to articles I've read, envy and resentment of successful folks and overachievers are almost universal traits.
I'm Dumb-minican, and I'm envious of math geniuses and saxophone virtuosos.

On fake jewelry:

I'm currently wearing a CHEAP US$84.00 Rolex GMT-Master II (Pepsi) knock-off watch, with a fake jubilee bracelet to boot.

Folks usually say, "Hey, nice watch!" or "Nice Pepsi!"

My response: "It's not a Rolex; it's a Pagani Design. In other words: a fake Rolex."

Congrats to all of you who could afford the real horological masterpieces (Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin...).
Envy is definitely universal. I usually say in Denmark where I am from its more benign. In the Caribbean they are more serious about it. From what I have seen and experienced. Sometimes if they can just harm the other that helps their ego. Nals says it fuels the immigration to the US from the DR. Probably. It could also explain Cubas situation. The two sides just wants to harm each other.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Cubans def
Envy is definitely universal. I usually say in Denmark where I am from its more benign. In the Caribbean they are more serious about it. From what I have seen and experienced. Sometimes if they can just harm the other that helps their ego. Nals says it fuels the immigration to the US from the DR. Probably. It could also explain Cubas situation. The two sides just wants to harm each other.