Dominican Foods

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
well let's see here it's very Bland and the little cookie is even more bland tried it a few times not my cup of Tea

Reactions: windeguy

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
well let's see here it's very Bland and the little cookie is even more bland tried it a few times not my cup of Tea
If it was bland, then the cook didn't use enough cloves or cinnamon :) But yeah, I'll eat a little at Easter time maybe, but not going to go crazy without it either

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have never been known to turn it down when it's offered to me. I don't think I've ever had a bad batch.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Am I really the only person here who actually enjoys habichuelas con dulce?????

I suspect some of you cringe at the thought of it, without actually having a homemade dish
I like it only when it’s hot. When that cools down it starts to ferment instantly and the atomic bomb combo of partially fermented beans and lactic acid wreaks havoc on the human digestive complex! Other than that 3 outta 5 maddones!

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
I love me some habichuelas con dulce.

Clara's research on all things comida dominincana should be required reading for all prospective retirees wanting to move to the D.R.
I'm cooking her red bean stew recipe, as I'm guessing it's closest to what I remember eating down there.
It seems others have tried using variations on seasonings, adding to the base recipe; then posting them online.

Reactions: Lucifer

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Am hoping someone here familiar with red bean stew(La Bandera)recipe can assist me.
Can I get away with using only savon seasoning, as opposed to purchasing coriander, annatto, and cilantro individually?.
While savon has the 3 ingredients, the amounts are of course; premixed.
Thanks in advance for any help on this project, as I'm really trying for authenticity
:)
Yes you can use sazon. Also use fresh garlic, chopped onion and pepper, and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. And don't forget Auyama(pumpkin), peeled and chopped for authentic flavor.

Reactions: Sunbiz1

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Yes you can use sazon. Also use fresh garlic, chopped onion and pepper, and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro. And don't forget Auyama(pumpkin), peeled and chopped for authentic flavor.
Clara's recipe I'm trying:

Reactions: aarhus

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Clara's recipe I'm trying:
We do essentially the same and add some sazon.

Reactions: Sunbiz1

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Several chili recipes call for a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. As this red bean recipe isn't spicy, maybe go with one and see what you think.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Several chili recipes call for a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. As this red bean recipe isn't spicy, maybe go with one and see what you think.

Learned something new, never heard of that. I’ve also never made chili, haha. I’ve probably made about 1000 pounds of beans over the last 48 years though.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Door Dash, Eat your Heart out ... Just brought in Fresh from Santiago to New Jersey, this Morning ... lol

quipe from Santiago.jpg

Reactions: JD Jones

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In the Indonesian cuisine it is also very common to use peanut sauce, peanut butter is just a shortcut.
Gado Gado. Delicious.
1715661920377.jpeg