Traffic Jam in Santo Domingo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Not that many decades ago, Santo Domingo didn't used to have a traffic jam problem. Look at it now. Reminds me when people say the economic growth isn't "seen," because apparently Santo Domingo is like Havana which despite all these decades and having a population in the millions, traffic jams are still unknown. That's what happen when an economic growth isn't seen. No money to get more cars.

On the other hand, San Juan in Puerto Rico does gets traffic jams too.

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's the reason why I say you have to know your way around the city - to know what roads to avoid at what time.

If you don't, here's hoping you have a comfortable car.
It's going to get worst. One of the solutions is to build more lines for the Metro, but today line 3 was suppose to be built already. Take your time looking for it, you might miss it. 🫣

When the traffic jams started to appear, all you had to do was go into the side streets and you could get around. Today, many people have "discovered" the routes through many side streets. Guess what that means?

With a nice size Metro system, the entire SD Metro area could be crossed in minutes during the rush hours and "special" days when the streets become a virtual gridlock.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
It's going to get worst. One of the solutions is to build more lines for the Metro, but today line 3 was suppose to be built already. Take your tine looking for it, you might miss it. 🫣

When the traffic jams started to appear, all you had to do was go into the side streets and you could get around. Today, many people have "discovered" the routes through many side streets. Guess what that means?
As long as people look at public transportation as a low-income thing it won't be as effective as it should.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Next: Odd and even plate number days.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The good thing about the city is that almost anything and everything is a 2 or 3 block walk. Crossing any street requires the agility of a tennis player. I must say that the thousands of motos for the most part yield to people crossing the street.

Reactions: chicagoan14

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yea but it makes for a miserable experience in the capital. It's becoming a place to avoid.
Sosua is getting jammed up too, and why the hell can't Corraplata fix 20' of trench in 2 months ?
At the Christmas season the road up to Hispaniola is a disaster with standing water blocked by their excavation and a ditch that will high center a Honda Civic

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sosua is getting jammed up too, and why the hell can't Corraplata fix 20' of trench in 2 months ?
At the Christmas season the road up to Hispaniola is a disaster with standing water blocked by their excavation and a ditch that will high center a Honda Civic
Incredible is it not? And what difference will it make since they don't provide water in the pipes?

• Haha
Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I have hated Santo Domingo since the first time I saw it. I still have to go there once a year. Buses and taxis only.
Santo Dom is a compact NYC. However, if you are a car guy that enjoys driving especially a sports car guy, S.D is certainly not for you. I have plotted walking routes as to avoid the extreme chaos. There are so many dining and lodging options one can find an easy retreat form the traffic 1/2 a block away.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Santo Dom is a compact NYC. However, if you are a car guy that enjoys driving especially a sports car guy, S.D is certainly not for you. I have plotted walking routes as to avoid the extreme chaos. There are so many dining and lodging options one can find an easy retreat form the traffic 1/2 a block away.
Hmm... A guy in NACO will like that. Oh, but there is more...