Getting a visa to Spain

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Please share your experience with the german embassy. I heard that they are extremely friendly and professional but do have a very high rejection rate.
Our applications have always been approved, but I have seen quite a few not-so-happy people there, so you could be right about rejection rate. In particular due to the language skills requirement, so they fail the test and therefore get rejected. Then again, you can easily hear all the conversations between officials and applicants there, and to be honest, sometimes I have trouble understanding how extremely unprepared people go the embassy. No clear answers whatsoever...

Someone we know (a daughter of someone we know, in her late 20s) was rejected a few times due to insufficient German skills, but she did not give up...

Friendly and professional indeed, from the building security to the officials, even officials speak fluent Spanish and they always wish you happy travels...

Reactions: Manuel01

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Go to onward ticket .com and buy one for 12 USD
May work for a visa applications but these "reservations" are dummy bookings and don't come with e-ticket numbers just confirmation code. Airlines can reject it if a return booking is required. I spent a night at JFK our office booked me on a oneway to Bahrain and a dummy return, the airline didn't like that. But for a few USD give it a go.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa

Also the Spanish embassy has a fast pass service, cost I remember 12,000 and a friend got visa next day.
Would be nice if someone "real" could confirm that these are valid though. They seem quite sketchy. When my wife has applied for a Schengenvisa through the Spanish authorities we've always bought the ticket as I've also never understood the concept of "reserving" an airline ticket.
I mean what's the point? It's basically just a document that shows that there's an airline route between point A to point B, which is as useful as saying "I'm going to point A to point B, I pinky swear"
Her application has always been approved so no problem there, except the stress of not knowing if you've spent possibly a thousand $ in vane just because they arbitrary reject the application. For example, I have a Dominican friend who now lives in Sweden after marrying a Swedish resident. They got their first baby just a few months ago, so naturally her mother wanted to come a be there for the birth of her first grandchild..... not, she was denied based that they thought that she was going to stay.......... She was not happy, as it's quite stupid... but anyways. (And No, the Swedish authorities doesn't have their own embassy in the DR so the Schengenvisa application has to be done through Spanish authorities although you're not going to Spain)

I can also say that I HATE their website to book an appointment, especially after their recent update. And you can go on for example Google and read the reviews and you'll see that ALOT of people are having problem with this.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Would be nice if someone "real" could confirm that these are valid though. They seem quite sketchy. When my wife has applied for a Schengenvisa through the Spanish authorities we've always bought the ticket as I've also never understood the concept of "reserving" an airline ticket.
I mean what's the point? It's basically just a document that shows that there's an airline route between point A to point B, which is as useful as saying "I'm going to point A to point B, I pinky swear"
Her application has always been approved so no problem there, except the stress of not knowing if you've spent possibly a thousand $ in vane just because they arbitrary reject the application. For example, I have a Dominican friend who now lives in Sweden after marrying a Swedish resident. They got their first baby just a few months ago, so naturally her mother wanted to come a be there for the birth of her first grandchild..... not, she was denied based that they thought that she was going to stay.......... She was not happy, as it's quite stupid... but anyways. (And No, the Swedish authorities doesn't have their own embassy in the DR so the Schengenvisa application has to be done through Spanish authorities although you're not going to Spain)

I can also say that I HATE their website to book an appointment, especially after their recent update. And you can go on for example Google and read the reviews and you'll see that ALOT of people are having problem with this.
From what I understand the act of getting the dummy ticket is to eliminate that "stress of not knowing if you spent..."It seems that the travel agencies have this down to a science.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I still would like to know if having a letter of employment in the DR is still part of the requirements.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I still would like to know if having a letter of employment in the DR is still part of the requirements.
It’s nice to see you are expanding into visa sponsorship now that the university scholarship pool has dried up! Don’t worry, I too feel that the chicas looking for visas are hotter than the ones in the scholarship demographic

• Haha
Reactions: MariaRubia and Big

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Not necessarily, you should show solvency, and if that means a letter of employment then yes, if the applicant gets money other way they should show that with for example bank statement.
LOL.. I'm real I can confirm these reservations are dummy tickets whether the embassy/ consulate whatever sell dummy visas I know nothing about.
Lol, what I was asking for was to know if these "dummy tickets" are actually accepted? Because any webdesigner/developer can add "posts"/"reviews" that their service is accepted by whoever, so that's never a guarantee.
From what I understand the act of getting the dummy ticket is to eliminate that "stress of not knowing if you spent..."It seems that the travel agencies have this down to a science.
What? "stress of not knowing if you spent..."??

My point is very valid, why do they even require one if they are just to show that you "know how to get from point A to point B", then what's the point?
Wouldn't writing it on the visa application show that anyways?
"I'm going from DR to Spain taking a flight from SDQ to MAD on DATE"...

The only 2 reasons I would think of why any embassy/consulate would like you to show an itinerary, would be 1) to show that you actually have the intention of doing the trip, which you would think just applying would suffice, it's not like anyone would voluntarily go through the process of collecting all the necessary documents and then pay for the visa application, and then NOT go? and 2) To show that you actually have the means to purchase that ticket, which also would be enough to show what money you have in the bank.
Neither of these a "dummy ticket" that is basically just a piece of paper that shows that this is the route that is available from point A to Point B, as you do not show that you have the intention of going, and as you didn't purchase the ticket you'd still not show that you have the means to purchase it.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I do not mean to be rude or anything, but you have purchased documents from that site which were approved by a consulate? I tried the checkout process and it looked kind of sketchy to me as well. And you cannot control whether it's a direct flight or with stops? That would be a no-no for me...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I do not mean to be rude or anything, but you have purchased documents from that site which were approved by a consulate? I tried the checkout process and it looked kind of sketchy to me as well. And you cannot control whether it's a direct flight or with stops? That would be a no-no for me...
So just adding to this. Watched a few Youtube videos of people actually purchasing and then verifying on airline website, apparently it should work, but still saying that the website itself is not perhaps the best one built... I have just never had the need for that kind of a service, but interesting still...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Neither of these a "dummy ticket" that is basically just a piece of paper that shows that this is the route that is available from point A to Point B, as you do not show that you have the intention of going, and as you didn't purchase the ticket you'd still not show that you have the means to purchase it.
Everything you wrote on the post I partially quoted above, is apparently exactly why at least the German embassy indeed even forbids anyone buying anything before the visa decision is made. I would think whether or not you will realize your travel plans, the embassy couldn't care less, all they issue is an approval to enter . And whether or not you have the means to purchase an actual ticket, they have other ways to check this, such as your employment and bank account statement, both of which are obligatory requirements for them to issue a visa. Once you have / if you will have the visa in your hands, YOU have to make sure you travel according to it, otherwise the migration in your destination would simply refuse entry. Period.

Please see above, only "Comprensible plan del viaje " is required. All other points the solvency question takes care of.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
May work for a visa applications but these "reservations" are dummy bookings and don't come with e-ticket numbers just confirmation code. Airlines can reject it if a return booking is required. I spent a night at JFK our office booked me on a oneway to Bahrain and a dummy return, the airline didn't like that. But for a few USD give it a go.
They come with a locator number which is usually sufficient, the reservations from the travel agents are just the same dummy bookings in my view.
The onward let us check-in to Europe with one way tickets, helped my wife getting a new password within 3 hours and the same for a friends family who all needed new passports, he actually made the onward while in the passport office after I told him and next day he got the new passports.
So maybe good for something but not for ever situation.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
It's just a hold reservation which can also be checked with the airline through the locator number and yes we used it quite a few times. It's the same a travel agent would give you that you have a reservation but haven't paid yet, and so will the onward ticket fall out of the system by itself.

Reactions: josh2203

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
So just adding to this. Watched a few Youtube videos of people actually purchasing and then verifying on airline website, apparently it should work, but still saying that the website itself is not perhaps the best one built... I have just never had the need for that kind of a service, but interesting still...
It mend to be for digital nomads for one way entry and it helped me and others I know getting passports issued in hours or one day. Also was asked by Herz Italy to show a return on onward ticket for the rental, first time in 30 years renting, show the one we made to enter Italy on a one way ticket and work all out. This are just my personal experiences. I usually don't write much here but thought it may help somebody.

Reactions: josh2203 and johne

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008

Also the Spanish embassy has a fast pass service, cost I remember 12,000 and a friend got visa next day.
i am curious about this fast pass. people have told me about getting a visa. they are only open a few hours a week. sometimes closed when supposed to be open ( kinda bad when you come from puerto plata only for this, they have a tel number and never answer. you cant ck to see if its ready, or get a yes or no while they are holding onto your passport.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
i am curious about this fast pass. people have told me about getting a visa. they are only open a few hours a week. sometimes closed when supposed to be open ( kinda bad when you come from puerto plata only for this, they have a tel number and never answer. you cant ck to see if its ready, or get a yes or no while they are holding onto your passport.
I have spoken to a half dozen people on the matter of dealing with the embassy. That half dozen includes two spanish nationals with connections to spain that very few people have here in the DR. Two more of the 6 are lawyers. ALL said you CANNOT DEAL WITH THE EMBASSY. Either deal with a travel agent or an immigration lawyer.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
Spanish embassies in general are a pita to deal with. Not sure if they have the same system in the DR but here you have to make an appointment online (which is difficult) and they don’t let you in if you didn’t. As for flights AirEuropa has cheap direct flights between SDQ and Madrid.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Spanish embassies in general are a pita to deal with. Not sure if they have the same system in the DR but here you have to make an appointment online (which is difficult) and they don’t let you in if you didn’t. As for flights AirEuropa has cheap direct flights between SDQ and Madrid.
Im going Iberia.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have spoken to a half dozen people on the matter of dealing with the embassy. That half dozen includes two spanish nationals with connections to spain that very few people have here in the DR. Two more of the 6 are lawyers. ALL said you CANNOT DEAL WITH THE EMBASSY. Either deal with a travel agent or an immigration lawyer.
thats interesting..