Comedy used to be Funny

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Norm was a natural. Loved him, too.

And in the deadpan and one-liner department, Steven Wright is the king.

One day I'll watch old Lenny Bruce videos and find out what made him great.

Reactions: NanSanPedro and Big

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Tony Clifton had a rather funny routine. Someday hope to have the tech abilities to use him as my avatar here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just watched a video on Netflix where Kevin Hart received a Mark Twain Comedy award at the Kennedy Center.
I always thought Hart was as funny as watching paint dry. All the comics that were there to roast him
were not the least bit funny. Even Seinfeld sucked

But they did have language so that they were covering the ears of Hart's younger kids from his second marriage.
There was not one really funny moment.

Not a surprise that Adam Sandler, who is as funny as watching grass grow, won last year.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
John Pinette was pretty good .. Saw him live several times and split my sides laughing.
When he did small venues, he would actually pick up the phone if you called there before or after show.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
John Pinette was pretty good .. Saw him live several times and split my sides laughing.
When he did small venues, he would actually pick up the phone if you called there before or after show.
I never saw him live but I watch his videos all the time. There are many that I've seen at least 10 times. Always funny.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I always thought Hart was as funny as watching paint dry. All the comics that were there to roast him
were not the least bit funny. Even Seinfeld sucked
You would really like my boy Tony Clifton as he didn't even try to be funny.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I agree that George Carlin was amazing
His Speed and Timing and Memory, were just Super Human
I think Robin Williams Came close in terms of Speed and definitely for being in the Moment and ad Libbing
, but no one touched Carlin in terms of a Standup routine.
And where some Comedians actually slow it down, and even Pause , He went full speed and you kept right up with him.,
his words were so carefully crafted, they just Flowed like Music.

Way ahead of his Time in so many ways .. Its as if he had traveled to the Future and knew what was coming.