Crackdown on Chinese business violators

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Eduardo-Sanz-Lovaton-Listin-Diario-1024x674.png
Eduardo Sanz Lovatón / Listín Diario

For decades the Haitian population migrating to the Dominican Republic has not complied with Dominican laws. In Haiti there is no law, thus the Haitians are just doing what they have always done. Nevertheless, the migration situation is unusual situation when the migrant population comes from a country where citizens comply with the laws in their own country. This is the case of recent Chinese migration to the Dominican Republic.

For years, the local authorities have been known to be very lax in seeking compliance of local hygiene, labor, city, tax and custom laws of businesses of Chinese migrants. For years, these businesses concentrated in the area that would become Chinatown off Av. Duarte in the capital city. But with the signing of diplomatic ties in May 2018 with China, a significant new wave of Chinese migrants came and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Although I enjoy paying cheaper for items, I also believe in giving small local businesses a fair shot. If one uses loopholes, skims on taxes, pays low wages and uses other methods, this allows them to have very cheap prices thus killing the locals and their businesses.

I can’t in good faith continue buying from them for a few pesos less while hurting the small business owners from my own community.

#my2cents

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Chinese stuff built to their standards is s*** you only have to replace it in a few weeks anyway it's not worth it

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I admit you can no escape buying Chinese crap. But I try my best to avoid their garbage they bring into this country

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Although I enjoy paying cheaper for items, I also believe in giving small local businesses a fair shot. If one uses loopholes, skims on taxes, pays low wages and uses other methods, this allows them to have very cheap prices thus killing the locals and their businesses.

I can’t in good faith continue buying from them for a few pesos less while hurting the small business owners from my own community.

#my2cents
Absolutely right. I am curious about the sudden crack downs. The Chinese were seemingly untouchable for some time but seems interest may be shifting.

Last year when Dominicans who import light fixtures were complaining about unfair competition the government didn't bat an eye

Reactions: Castro156