Baseball player died in Samana accident

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Guess what ? Another Moto hit his with his father on it.............Could not afford a car?

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Guess what ? Another Moto hit his with his father on it.............Could not afford a car?
That would be my guess. I'm sure if they could afford a car they would have had one, right? The wages paid to MLB prospects are barely enough to cover their living expenses during the season so it's not like he would have made a lot of money or had any left over after his tenure

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That would be my guess. I'm sure if they could afford a car they would have had one, right? The wages paid to MLB prospects are barely enough to cover their living expenses during the season so it's not like he would have made a lot of money or had any left over after his tenure
Agree on the wages for an A level player, but what about the signing bonus?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agree on the wages for an A level player, but what about the signing bonus?
Not all get a signing bonus, or a large one at that. Some clubs give very little in terms of a cash signing bonus but will put money in an education fund if the player wants to continue his education. It all depends on how high/good of a prospect the player is. I should add that many times a family/player is in debt to trainers, etc...so if/when they get a signing bonus those people are normally paid from that. There are many and I mean many former minor league players and some major league players in the DR (I am sure other countries as well) who have absolutely nothing left from any money made during their career. There are some very sad stories/situations out there.

Last edited:

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Not all get a signing bonus, or a large one at that. Some clubs give very little in terms of a cash signing bonus but will put money in an education fund if the player wants to continue his education. It all depends on how high/good of a prospect the player is. I should add that many times a family/player is in debt to trainers, etc...so if/when they get a signing bonus those people are normally paid from that.
According to Baseball America, his 2016 bonus was undisclosed, meaning that was very little.

Recently, he was signed last Feb by the York Revolution from the Atlantic League, an independent league.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hundreds get signed every year but only a small percentage of those make the news with the big signing bonus. It really is exploitation.
I would not say it is exploitation at all. Some prospects rank high and are well scouted. There are others that have some potential but have not been scouted/followed as much. Those not ranked high by an organization are given an opportunity to continue to excel. They are provided an education by the club while "employed" by the club. It is dream for those kids, but unfortunately not everyone makes it out of the DR summer league. There are other issues such as performance enhancing drugs, lying about age, etc... that need to be addressed. It is sad what happened to this player and his father. Unfortunately, there are more stories just like this.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I would not say it is exploitation at all. Some prospects rank high and are well scouted. There are others that have some potential but have not been scouted/followed as much. Those not ranked high by an organization are given an opportunity to continue to excel. They are provided an education by the club while "employed" by the club. It is dream for those kids, but unfortunately not everyone makes it out of the DR summer league. There are other issues such as performance enhancing drugs, lying about age, etc... that need to be addressed. It is sad what happened to this player and his father. Unfortunately, there are more stories just like this.
3 of my sons' cousins were prospects that couldn't get signed, but they were trained in different academies in Boca Chica (Dodgers, Marlins, Twins).
All of the 3 got education and now working in other stuff in Punta Cana or San Pedro.
It's all about family values: if they couldn't make it, at least they form in college or technical and become professionals.
Sadly another bunch got the wrong road and go on drugs, alcohol abuse or even got in jail.