Contamination of Dominican Beaches in Bocachica/Guayacanes/JuanDolio

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
With oil near $5 us per gallon, I doubt the local vendors that sell gas in bottles are spilling much of it. That is how they make money. There is more oil washing into the ocean from leaking engines and transmissions.
Your correct. Leaking oil from vehicles on the main highways and city streets eventually finds it way into the storm and sanitary sewers and makes it way to the nearest watercourse or the ocean. The oil gets heavily diluted by the intense rainfall and dissipates quickly once it enters the water. Most times it’s in the form of oil sheen, so thin you can’t clean it up and natural processes like wind, sunlight, and wave action break it down.

The problem in Bocochica and Juan Dolio is different. The deposition of refined fuels, gasoline and diesel, in continuous concentrated amounts has more severe impacts. My original post outlined some of those. The major concern here is the carcinogenic effects of the light ends such as benzene in petroleum. Benzene Is a proven carcinogen, a cancer causing agent. Retail gasoline pumps in Canada have warnings posted about the carcinogenic potential of petroleum products.

The impact in Bocachica is layered. Exposure to the vendors, exposure to the microorganisms in the beach sediment, exposure to birds eating the microorganisms on the beach , exposure to the benthic organisms living in the sand near the coastline, ( mussels, clams, etc.) and exposure to the birds, fish, and shellfish that eat those organisms, and the people who eat those fish and shellfish.

Whats happening there is not only bad aesthetically, it’s also very bad for human health. It should be a priority for DR health enforcement if there is a DR health enforcement agency.

The uncontrolled garbage dumping is also a concern. Those bags contain pathogens like salmonella. Dogs ripping the bags open and eating the waste are creating piles of pathogen infected fecal waste. Another health concern.

Nothing will be done until the problem is a headache for the local politicians.That’s the DR way.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
This country is not only the most promiscuous country I've ever lived in, unfortunately it's also the most polluted as well. It took several generations to create the culture of dumping whatever wherever and it will take several generations to change. Take a drive down Mendoza in SDE sometime. The amount of chemicals they openly dump into the street every day is enough to make your head spin.
CR. I’ve been on many of the North Coast beaches. Any beaches near cities and town are littered with persistent plastics, mostly water bottles, litter from people eating on the beaches, and other types of debris. In high profile tourist areas the government and resort owners keep the beaches clean for the money paying tourists. It’s the same in Punta Cana and Samana. Local beaches don’t get the same attention for obvious reasons.

The problem with the fuel spills in Bocachica is not common to most DR beaches. It’s common to major harbours like Puerto Plata harbour. The worst harbour I‘ve seen in my travels was Havana harbour in Cuba.

Education is the key but it’s a long term solution as is government lobbying. The OP has to turn the heat up on the local politicians to get the issues resolved.

• Love
Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't think education is the key - the whole culture has to have a reawakening.
Maybe some commercials with beautiful girls scolding a young men who throw trash, a Dominican grandmother swatting her son for tossing a beer bottle, a fater taking his son fishing and seeing Styrofoam floating in the river and looking sad.
Maybe Abinader's wife starting a TV and poster campaign, or Cardi B and Big Papi doing spots.
Truth is the Haitians are no worse than the Dominicans but with the population swelling with illegals it ill only get worse until littering fines are handed out.
Costa Rica was not like this, there was litter, yes, but much less than is tossed here.

But this behavior is prevalent throughout Latin America - no respect for nature, almost no Latinos expend energy to find a trash receptacle. .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't think education is the key - the whole culture has to have a reawakening.
Maybe some commercials with beautiful girls scolding a young men who throw trash, a Dominican grandmother swatting her son for tossing a beer bottle, a fater taking his son fishing and seeing Styrofoam floating in the river and looking sad.
Maybe Abinader's wife starting a TV and poster campaign, or Cardi B and Big Papi doing spots.
Truth is the Haitians are no worse than the Dominicans but with the population swelling with illegals it ill only get worse until littering fines are handed out.
Costa Rica was not like this, there was litter, yes, but much less than is tossed here.

But this behavior is prevalent throughout Latin America - no respect for nature, almost no Latinos expend energy to find a trash receptacle. .
Not that the locals care but there are videos online of when Abel Martinez first took office here in Santiago where he stood at intersections picking up the trash as people tossed it out the window, introducing himself as the new mayor to the offender and then handing the trash back to them while telling them to properly dispose of it.
It made zero difference as people continue littering at intersections.

Reactions: qphotonyc

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I am optimistic but not convinced regarding the trash situation in San Pedro.

The mayor there has launched a campaign called “San Pedro Limpio” and recruited a rap star to help market it. It seemed to be working slightly.

The malecón was beautifully clean mid afternoon, but by the next morning there was loads upon loads of trash everywhere again. I did see some recyclable take out containers and cups amongst the styrofoam and plastic. That’s an improvement.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
With oil near $5 us per gallon, I doubt the local vendors that sell gas in bottles are spilling much of it. That is how they make money. There is more oil washing into the ocean from leaking engines and transmissions.
Since it is most likely diluted they are losing a bit less than that. The value isn't enough to make them mindful plus it's also possible (probable) that some is stolen in which case the sales is 100% profit.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I am optimistic but not convinced regarding the trash situation in San Pedro.

The mayor there has launched a campaign called “San Pedro Limpio” and recruited a rap star to help market it. It seemed to be working slightly.

The malecón was beautifully clean mid afternoon, but by the next morning there was loads upon loads of trash everywhere again. I did see some recyclable take out containers and cups amongst the styrofoam and plastic. That’s an improvement.

From my recollection of the SP Malecon, wait until late Sunday night or early Monday morning. That's when I remember it at its grossest.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Bill, The problem with your idea, in my opinion is that grandma is going to be the one tossing the beer bottle and father tossing the styrofoam. An ad campaign in conjunction with education I believe would work best.
I have 2 experiences in my time living, besides all the times in general that stood out about the lack of concern for their envirement.
1st one about 15 years ago, go to a river near Bani with my then girlfriend and her family. hot day lots of empty beer bottles around when it was time to leave. The family all started heading to their cars but when they saw my son and I start rounding up all the bottles among the rocks they came back and helped.
2nd time just moved in to a place on the beach in Puerto Plata "El Pueblito" and heard on Sunday bus loads of people from Santiago were coming up. Well I was excited about the thoughts of bikini clad girls from Santiago coming up for the day. First disappointment, all the best looking girls were with family or a guy. The second disappointment was when I went for my morning swim and saw the beach blanketed with all sorts of garbage. I Never looked forward to those sunday buses again.
Even years ago when they put those big blue garbage cans on Sosua beach people just left their bottles and styrofoam plates whenever they had eaten/drank on the beach.

Reactions: CristoRey

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
From my recollection of the SP Malecon, wait until late Sunday night or early Monday morning. That's when I remember it at its grossest.
It’s all weekend long. The only ones that clean it in between are the people picking bottles. The trash stays from Friday night until Monday. On a good weekend, someone might rake the garbage into a pile.
Pero, San Pedro Limpio 🤷🏻‍♀️.

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman
I have a piece of Land Next to Los Delfines Aqua Park: I have some thugs Breaking and Entering into the land, I have videos of then breaking and stealing the cameras and can not get the police to arrest them even with evidence; I a ma trying to fence in the property and even with permits from city Hall can not fence it in; these thugs threaten the workers and even though they have no documents they can challenge the police with no consequences. Even with my titles in hand I feel that there is no respect for private property in Dominican Republic.
The government wants people to invest; but there is no protection to investors when a thug rents your property and does not pay or wants to move or someone enters in your property and occupies it Illegally.
No hay respecto por la propiedad privada en Republica Dominican y el gobierno no protege al inversionista.

pinonuevo

Dec 7, 2020
Roman

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Oil Spill regulations and Fuel Regulations should be standard practice
Regulations and laws in this country are rarely worth the paper they are written on once you leave the cities and sometimes this applies to the cities as well.