Covid in San Cristobal & Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’re flying down soon for a few months and I’m curious how bad Covid is in San Cristobal and Santo Domingo? Yesterday our housekeeper (for the past 20-25 years) died from it, she lived across the road from us. Those of you in those areas, are you hearing about a lot of cases?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Santo Domingo is rampant with a nasty upper respiratory infection. Not covid. I had it and it was, well nasty.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sorry to hear about your employee. Were they sure it was Covid?

I've been self isolating in my house pretty much since this whole debacle started. I haven't read of anything out of the ordinary for SC in the last few weeks.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Last 3 weeks I did not experience any issues in SDQ and among friends/family, Public transportation is FULL (did not use it), same as guagua's (did not use them), also FULL, very limited amount of people using face-masks.
Covid will be around for sure, but people are living their lives again as they always did, and so do I :cool:

Reactions: irishpaddy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry to hear about your employee. Were they sure it was Covid?

I've been self isolating in my house pretty much since this whole debacle started. I haven't read of anything out of the ordinary for SC in the last few weeks.

Apparently she was tested, was her second go-round. Hit her lungs, she was on oxygen, (at home!) probably needed a ventilator but you know how that goes with poor people. Hospital sent her home when the family took her the other day, said there was nothing they could do for her. This woman was an Amazon, strong as an ox and at least 10 years younger than me. Maybe more. We inherited her from my mother-in-law, she worked for her since the early 90s.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
The talk of the town (Santo Domingo) is that COVID is pretty active.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Apparently she was tested, was her second go-round. Hit her lungs, she was on oxygen, (at home!) probably needed a ventilator but you know how that goes with poor people. Hospital sent her home when the family took her the other day, said there was nothing they could do for her. This woman was an Amazon, strong as an ox and at least 10 years younger than me. Maybe more. We inherited her from my mother-in-law, she worked for her since the early 90s.
Was she vaccinated?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I have been vaccinated and have had covid (twice). For me it was just an uncomfortable head cold. This last "head cold" I had was just the garden variety cold. My friend who works at hospital in Santo Dom reports a surge in an upper respiratory complaints, not so much covid.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
additionally, If I could choose, I would rather have covid or the head cold thing that's going around. At least you can watch TV , do computer work and yak on the phone. With the norovirus thing or an intestinal bug picked up at a restaurant, all you can do is lay down and cry.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So
Sorry to hear this, my wife's 92-year-old Aunt in Santo Domingo just recovered from Covid, she had three vaccinations, two of the Sino-Vac and a Pfizer booster. She is all of about 90 lbs and a survivor of breast cancer, almost blind...etc. Must have a strong immune system. I think the key as in many things is early detection and early treatment.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I was sick with different symptoms for the last few days. Really unusual for me. Almost went to see a doctor. Not tested. I’m on NC not StoDgo. 2 phizer vax in past. No booster.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Just by my observations and interpretation, I am guessing covid is a thing again in SD.

I was down in SD for a few days. Back home up in the north, en el campo, literally nobody wears a mask.

So I got to SD and took the metro to get where I was going, more as an experience, mind you.
Pleasantly surprised, still very clean.
I still don't get having to swipe your pass getting out of the metro, it creates bottlenecks in busy stations, but whatever.
Anyway, there were quite a few masked people, I was surprised.

I Uber-ed myself around during my stay, and most of the Uber drivers wore a mask.

Even in the street some people were wearing masks. And not only elderly people but younger people as well.

By all means nowhere near a majority, probably less than 10%.
I didnt wear a mask anywhere, I will add.

At some point I got into a carro publico, cos Uber was ghosting me 😆, and 3 ladies in the back had masks on. The driver did not, and I kind of gave him a raised eyebrow and asked if I should be wearing one. To which he answered " como quiere".
Turns out the 3 ladies were nurses and they said " k la cosas se estan ponenedo feo" and they preferred to start wearing masks when out in crowds.

At DGM nobody wore a mask, save a few people. Ditto at JCE.
Same on Caribe Tours, nobody save an elderly or 2.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I already forgot about the purpose of the mask. To protect yourself? others? I have flown halfway across the world in the last 5 months without a mask.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I already forgot about the purpose of the mask. To protect yourself? others? I have flown halfway across the world in the last 5 months without a mask.
I think both. I believe most individuals wearing a mask are very scared about this and a few others may think they have it and want to pass it on. I'm guessing of course. But if anyone wants to wear a mask, go for it.

Reactions: Big

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So

Sorry to hear this, my wife's 92-year-old Aunt in Santo Domingo just recovered from Covid, she had three vaccinations, two of the Sino-Vac and a Pfizer booster. She is all of about 90 lbs and a survivor of breast cancer, almost blind...etc. Must have a strong immune system. I think the key as in many things is early detection and early treatment.

Glad to hear that. I may be wrong but I feel that the medical care in SD is way superior to what we have in our campo or SC.
I’m packing several Covid tests “just in case”.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My SIL, who is a physician, says not only is it Covid but the flu and upper respiratory issues. I actually just sent my son back with several test kits. Stay out crowds if you can. When you get on the plane wipe down the tray table, arm rests, etc..with a disinfecting wipe. Actually, that is good to do all the time. After years of working with the airlines you learn a thing or two...lol

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
My SIL, who is a physician, says not only is it Covid but the flu and upper respiratory issues. I actually just sent my son back with several test kits. Stay out crowds if you can. When you get on the plane wipe down the tray table, arm rests, etc..with a disinfecting wipe. Actually, that is good to do all the time. After years of working with the airlines you learn a thing or two...lol

True... caught a horrible, nasty case of acute bronchitis while on my flight from Munich to Punta Cana last month... 1 week of hell, 100% nasal congestion, coughing up mucus non-stop, and a burning chest... Eurowings Discover is such a cheap excuse of an airline they don't even provide desinfecting towels to clean up after eating the meal... so just just imagine all the sick passengers touching their noses/mouths and then touching everything in the aircraft... and then contaminated places never get desinfected in between flights... yikes.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Always start with the Ivermectin for 3-5 days as it prevents the replication of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Dosage by weight, ask your pharmacist. Prices for it have increased slightly but it's not expensive.

Google will supress info on using Ivermectin for Covid because they want to cover for politicians I guess, but India used it successfully on the initial outbreak and had better outcome than China, and it is a less hygienic country.
Myself and two friends used it and within 3 days you will feel much improved.

It can't hurt. It is a routine drug for many Dominicans

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Status
Not open for further replies.