CV19 Cases on The Rise in Parts of The EU and Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Covid cases are rising in parts of both Asia and Europe.
View in browser|nytimes.com March 15, 2022 Author Headshot By David Leonhardt Good morning. Covid cases are rising in parts of both Asia and Europe. Medical workers from China at the border with Hong Kong yesterday.Tyrone Siu/Reuters The new hot spot Even as Covid-19 cases and deaths have continued to decline in the United States, there are some worrisome developments around the world. Today, I’ll walk through them — and explain their implications for the U.S. The Pacific region … After more than two years of mostly fighting off Covid, Hong Kong has become the world’s worst hot spot. The main problem, as in so many other places, is vaccine skepticism. Heading into the current outbreak, nearly 40 percent of Hong Kong’s population was not vaccinated, and more than half of people over 70 — the age group most vulnerable to severe Covid — were unvaccinated. Why? Many Hong Kong residents do not trust the government, given the increasing repression by China. Others are dubious of Western medicine or have been influenced by misinformation, as my colleagues Alexandra Stevenson and Austin Ramzy have reported. “I worry that the side effects of vaccination will kill me,” Lam Suk-haa, who’s 80 years old, told The Times last month. “I won’t get vaccinated as long as I have a choice.” Until recently, Hong Kong — like mainland China — had been largely successful in keeping out the virus, which meant that vaccine skepticism did not bring large costs. But the Omicron variant is so contagious that it overwhelmed Hong Kong’s “zero-Covid” strategy. Adding to the problem, many residents have received Sinovac, a Chinese-made vaccine that is less effective than the vaccines designed in the U.S. and Europe — by Moderna, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca. Although the Pfizer vaccine is available in Hong Kong, many residents wrongly fear that it has dangerous side effects. Sinovac still provides meaningful protection against severe illness, but not as much as the Western vaccines. The death rate in Hong Kong has soared this month, surpassing 25 per 100,000 residents in the past week. That’s not as high as New York’s peak death rate in the spring of 2020, but it is higher than in any country today. And Hong Kong’s rate will probably continue rising, because new case numbers did not start falling until about a week ago; death trends typically lag case trends by about three weeks. Seven-day averages as of March 13. | Sources: New York Times database; Johns Hopkins University “I’m not sure people appreciate quite how bad the Covid situation is in Hong Kong, nor what might be around the corner,” John Burn-Murdoch of The Financial Times wrote yesterday. “What’s driving this? Vaccines. Or more specifically: the elderly vaccination rate.” Many elderly residents of mainland China are also unvaccinated, and it too could be on the verge of an increase in Covid deaths. Yesterday, outbreaks led to the closures of many theaters and restaurants in Shanghai, while several large factories — including a major maker of iPhones — suspended production. The shutdowns could ripple across the global economy, exacerbating goods shortages and inflation. Covid is also spreading rapidly in New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and several other Pacific countries that had previously kept caseloads low. The death rates in those countries are far lower than in Hong Kong, because of higher vaccination rates. (You can look up any country’s data.) … and Europe Europe has often been a few weeks ahead of the U.S. with Covid trends — and cases are now rising in Britain, Germany, Italy and some other parts of Europe. The main cause appears to be an even more contagious version of Omicron, known as BA.2.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pfizer pushing the 4th dose.

Did I mention that CV19 is here, there, and everywhere to stay? Ah, yes, I did. Some governments are already "reacting" again to the rise in cases.
Nobody knows if this will happen (again) in the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
South Korea, who was once praised for how they stopped coronavirus and had the some of the lowest number of cases and deaths in the world, has been leading the world in the number of new cases for a week now with cases on a per capita basis, doubling the worst number of daily cases recorded for the US.

On a per capita basis, the number of daily new cases in South Korea is about the same as Hong Kong. They have used mostly mRNA vaccines and some viral vector ones.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thread has nothing to do with the Dominican Republic.
Stop the fear mongering.

Jan 9, 2004

1437 new cases in a country of 1.4 billion people. What a joke. This article isn't even newsworthy. With 1/30th the population, South Korea had 350,000 new cases yesterday.
Its not the current number, but the concern going forward.

A lock down of that magnitude is the equivalent of two Dominican Republics + on total lockdown....................to prevent the cases from spiraling.

Apparently it is news worthy as it is being carried by the major wire services globally.......just not DR related...........unless and until a new outbreak here occurs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Status
Not open for further replies.