dominican children are more invvolved in caregiving that children from north american countries

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
i am constant!y amazed on how much young dominican children (of about years and older are involved in playing with their 2 year old live in cousin. it seems like such a natural thing they do. Is this your experience as well? it seems so healthy for their development. ant thoughts on this?

Reactions: Lafcadio

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
i am constant!y amazed on how much young dominican children (of about years and older are involved in playing with their 2 year old live in cousin. it seems like such a natural thing they do. Is this your experience as well? it seems so healthy for their development. ant thoughts on this?
Huh?
I mean yes...
Children playing with children is normal.
I take it you don't have any?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That’s more a function of how society works.

Dominican society depends more on family (including the extended family) thsn North American ones. Unlike North Americans, very often the pool from where in the future you get most of your business partners and such are you cousins and other family members, plus anyone that isn’t family but you grew up with or at least have known since childhood. North Americans like to do things like networking to meet new professional/business/etc potential partners with complete strangers. Networking is essentially nonexistent among Dominicans. The greater dependence on family is one of the main reasons many Dominicans have a harder time being too faraway from family members while the typical American have easier to move away, even across a continent. In fact, it’s somewhat common for an American extended family to be spread over big differences while Dominican extended families tend to be within a geographic area with a handful living outside of there.

North America is more individualistic in a way. It reaches a point that things like putting eleerly parents in an assisted living facility is seen as extremely distasteful among Dominicans. Differences such as those are the basis of msny clashes between the okder generations of Dominicans and their kids when they move to another country where individuality is greater. The USA ends at the front door of the house, because from there inward it’s Santo Domingo where you must speak in Spanish, etc.

Reactions: KyleMackey