Ladies only

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
To Make A Difference
Posted on December 15, 2019by meemselle

Until last week, I never knew anyone who was murdered.

That has changed.

There are no words, and all those that I am using feel like the most banal of clichés. I keep saying, “This is a nightmare.” I keep saying, “I can’t believe it.” I keep saying, “I can’t stop crying.” I keep saying, “We will never know what really happened.” I keep saying, “I miss her so much.”

Last week, my friend, Lindsay DeFeliz, was found in a hastily-dug, shallow trench in a wooded area very close to her home in Cacique/Moncion. The victim of an apparent strangulation, she had been wrapped in a yellow sheet from her house, a couple of dog food bags, and black trash bags. She was reported missing by friends after she failed to return home from working as a translator at the court in Puerto Plata. Lindsay had lived in the Dominican Republic for 18 years and held Dominican citizenship. She was the author of two highly-acclaimed memoirs, “What About Your Saucepans?” and “Life After My Saucepans,” both detailing in alternately hilarious and horrific detail her adventures in her beloved adopted country.

Lindsay was a woman of singular courage and rare honesty. Her unflinching eye did not rest behind rose-colored glasses, and despite her diminutive size, she was fierce and brave, not only intellectually and emotionally, but physically as well. She was a wonderful cook. She was a great raconteur. She was a serious and engaged writer. She was deeply committed to ensuring justice and a fair shot for those less fortunate than herself.

But beyond all of that, she was an expansive and generous friend.

The number of people whose lives she touched is enormous, but not only by sheer numbers is its reach impressive. What is remarkable is the variety. From all walks of life, fellow ex-pats, the community of DR Sisterhood, campo friends, writing colleagues, women, men, and children, Lindsay had the gift of making each one feel like a Best Friend Forever.

Her delight in gifts of hard-to-find-in-the-campo food bordered on the sybaritic. There was little that made her happier than laying in a good stash of Cadbury chocolate, and a few mushrooms tucked into the fridge. Never have I seen a person wax more rhapsodical over brussels sprouts.

At the close of her second book, Lindsay wrote:

When I interviewed students who wanted to do an MBA, when I was a marketing lecturer in my former life, I would ask them what they wanted written on their gravestones. I know what I want. “She made a difference.” Simple as that.

You did it, Linds. You made a difference. More than you will ever know. You did it. May your memory be for a blessing now and forever.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The link is not working.

By the way, unrelated, but I will forever call you Mademoiselle.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The link is not working.

By the way, unrelated, but I will forever call you Mademoiselle.

I didn't want to post the body of the blog, because quite frankly, I am not interested in getting opinions from trolls. But then the link didn't work, so I posted the text.

"Meemselle" is a play on Mlle.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
She helped so many animals.

She literally helped hundreds of people. She made a tremendous difference for people in the DR and all around the world.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You hit the nail on the head describing Lindsay.
She did make a difference and she was a fast and true friend to all. She also had the ability to make each person feel like they were the #1 special person in her life.
She is the second woman I know that was murdered. The first one I dedicated my book about domestic violence to.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Meems, back in the old days DR1 had a Chat Room. Every evening Matilda, Whirlybird, myself and an open revolving door of DR1ers wandered in and out. We guided newbies, networked others, made recommendations, but mostly....we made friends. Close friends. Lifelong friends. Drro, Drloca, AnnaC, jrhartley, tamborista, and so many more, they know who they are. Whirley was the moderator.

The chat room hit the cutting room floor during one of the software upgrades, and we missed it. A lot. But the friendships forged there have lived on. My husband and I have stayed with Matilda/Lindsay, Whirleybird, AnnaC, and met scores of others. DRLoca and her husband and daughter stayed with us this past summer. Yes, DR1 changed all of our lives. Enriched them even.

This week has been a nightmare, one of our own was murdered, and the shocking details have left us all like you Meems. Unable to focus, unable to stop thinking about it, unable to make any sense of it, and unable to shake the surreal feeling that it can’t have really happened. Maybe we’ll begin to heal when the case is solved/closed.

You’re certainly right about one thing. Lindsay made a difference. In countless ways. To countless people and even many animals. And she was very fond of you, always looking forward to your visits. She told me she wanted to bring you on her next visit to our house. One of these days we’ll have to raise a glass together to our dear friend, and I know she’ll be smiling down at us.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
To Make A Difference
Posted on December 15, 2019by meemselle

Until last week, I never knew anyone who was murdered.

That has changed.

There are no words, and all those that I am using feel like the most banal of clichés. I keep saying, “This is a nightmare.” I keep saying, “I can’t believe it.” I keep saying, “I can’t stop crying.” I keep saying, “We will never know what really happened.” I keep saying, “I miss her so much.”

Last week, my friend, Lindsay DeFeliz, was found in a hastily-dug, shallow trench in a wooded area very close to her home in Cacique/Moncion. The victim of an apparent strangulation, she had been wrapped in a yellow sheet from her house, a couple of dog food bags, and black trash bags. She was reported missing by friends after she failed to return home from working as a translator at the court in Puerto Plata. Lindsay had lived in the Dominican Republic for 18 years and held Dominican citizenship. She was the author of two highly-acclaimed memoirs, “What About Your Saucepans?” and “Life After My Saucepans,” both detailing in alternately hilarious and horrific detail her adventures in her beloved adopted country.

Lindsay was a woman of singular courage and rare honesty. Her unflinching eye did not rest behind rose-colored glasses, and despite her diminutive size, she was fierce and brave, not only intellectually and emotionally, but physically as well. She was a wonderful cook. She was a great raconteur. She was a serious and engaged writer. She was deeply committed to ensuring justice and a fair shot for those less fortunate than herself.

But beyond all of that, she was an expansive and generous friend.

The number of people whose lives she touched is enormous, but not only by sheer numbers is its reach impressive. What is remarkable is the variety. From all walks of life, fellow ex-pats, the community of DR Sisterhood, campo friends, writing colleagues, women, men, and children, Lindsay had the gift of making each one feel like a Best Friend Forever.

Her delight in gifts of hard-to-find-in-the-campo food bordered on the sybaritic. There was little that made her happier than laying in a good stash of Cadbury chocolate, and a few mushrooms tucked into the fridge. Never have I seen a person wax more rhapsodical over brussels sprouts.

At the close of her second book, Lindsay wrote:

When I interviewed students who wanted to do an MBA, when I was a marketing lecturer in my former life, I would ask them what they wanted written on their gravestones. I know what I want. “She made a difference.” Simple as that.

You did it, Linds. You made a difference. More than you will ever know. You did it. May your memory be for a blessing now and forever.

Oh, yes, you made a difference alright. You will be in my heart forever my dearest friend, Lindsay. Thank you Meems for this wonderful tribute xXx

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
She was always telling me off for the things I didn't do and is still doing so now telling me 'go and eat you silly moo' so guess I better go and get a sandwich!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Meems, back in the old days DR1 had a Chat Room. Every evening Matilda, Whirlybird, myself and an open revolving door of DR1ers wandered in and out. We guided newbies, networked others, made recommendations, but mostly....we made friends. Close friends. Lifelong friends. Drro, Drloca, AnnaC, jrhartley, tamborista, and so many more, they know who they are. Whirley was the moderator.

The chat room hit the cutting room floor during one of the software upgrades, and we missed it. A lot. But the friendships forged there have lived on. My husband and I have stayed with Matilda/Lindsay, Whirleybird, AnnaC, and met scores of others. DRLoca and her husband and daughter stayed with us this past summer. Yes, DR1 changed all of our lives. Enriched them even.

This week has been a nightmare, one of our own was murdered, and the shocking details have left us all like you Meems. Unable to focus, unable to stop thinking about it, unable to make any sense of it, and unable to shake the surreal feeling that it can’t have really happened. Maybe we’ll begin to heal when the case is solved/closed.

You’re certainly right about one thing. Lindsay made a difference. In countless ways. To countless people and even many animals. And she was very fond of you, always looking forward to your visits. She told me she wanted to bring you on her next visit to our house. One of these days we’ll have to raise a glass together to our dear friend, and I know she’ll be smiling down at us.

I remember the chat room! It was a great place to get to know people without restrictions of the board.
My sympathies to all of her close friends. This is a tough one to take.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
She was always telling me off for the things I didn't do and is still doing so now telling me 'go and eat you silly moo' so guess I better go and get a sandwich!

I had issues when she would say, "Oh, get on, you silly cow." But then I realized that is BritLove.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Meemselle: you said it all! Lindsay loved her life, loved helping people and animals. She was blunt when she needed to be but she did it with love.
She will be sorely missed by those that loved her warts and all :)
Lindsay, Shirley, Grace were my rock when my husband and I were going through something terrible when I lived in the DR and for that I will be eternally grateful.
I remember the good times at her place! sleeping in the hammock (which I fell out of lol), coffee and cigarettes on the balcony (when it was useable), the laughs, the jokes, the food, shopping at the only store in the area lol (I still have the sandals, now I will never get rid of them)
Oh Lindsay you brought joy and laughter to all of us...… You truly were an inspiration
Going forward I will try and live up to her standards for life.
Love and peace to all that hold her in their hearts.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Meemselle: you said it all! Lindsay loved her life, loved helping people and animals. She was blunt when she needed to be but she did it with love.
She will be sorely missed by those that loved her warts and all :)
Lindsay, Shirley, Grace were my rock when my husband and I were going through something terrible when I lived in the DR and for that I will be eternally grateful.
I remember the good times at her place! sleeping in the hammock (which I fell out of lol), coffee and cigarettes on the balcony (when it was useable), the laughs, the jokes, the food, shopping at the only store in the area lol (I still have the sandals, now I will never get rid of them)
Oh Lindsay you brought joy and laughter to all of us...… You truly were an inspiration
Going forward I will try and live up to her standards for life.
Love and peace to all that hold her in their hearts.

Thanks for sharing your good memories. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I bonded with Lindsay over our love of this country, of writing, and of food; our Brit sense of humour and some similarities in our life experiences and outlook.

We were colleagues, too - working on translation projects together - I would pass work her way and she would share her work with me when we were overwhelmed. She entrusted me with reading and commenting on the early drafts of her first book, and the final proofreading of both books. We also worked together on the DR1 news for many years.

This online friendship and working partnership goes back well over ten years but we didn't actually meet in person until I visited her in Cacique on Christmas Eve, 2017 - just two years ago. Since then she stayed with me en route to and from England, and I made a second and final visit to her house in May of this year, bearing mushrooms. I'm sure I'm not the only person who will forever associate mushrooms and other assorted treats with Lindsay!

She made a huge difference to all the humans and animals who crossed paths with her. She enriched my life in all sorts of ways, with a special mention for the support she gave me after Ginnie's passing. My good memories of her will stay with me forever, and I'm determined to ensure that they prevail over the horrendous way in which her life came to an end.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I think I hit the dislike button instead of the like button. I’m sorry. Can’t figure out how to remove dislike and change to like? Been clicking but it’s not working

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I enjoyed reading her blogs, day to day life. Her simple enjoyments of food were such a pleasure to read.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Thank you for this posting !!! I enjoyed reading Lindsy blog , it gave me hope when I was frustrated, it made me laugh. I felt a kinship. Her death has struck me in such a strange way,& made me afraid.

I had to stop reading DR1 as I was getting unnessarly scared. I wish someone would lock the missing post and focus on the wonderful beatiful life she lead.. Thanks again meems......

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I never met Lindsay in person but I spoke to her online and on the phone about 9-10 yrs ago. She helped us quite a bit. I've read her 2 books and I always read her blog. I haven't lived in DR in 10 years but I have been travelling to and from the DR for about 20 yrs. I know some Dominican women that have been murdered by their husbands but I never ever thought that Lindsay would share the same fate.
I haven't been on DR1 in years because life just gets busy but this has tragedy has brought me back as I hope to see that justice is served.
I think Lindsay was the unofficial "ambassador" for all Expats and everyone who needed anything DR related.
She will never be forgotten by so many. My condolences to her family and all her close friends.
I hope that all the perps rot in jail, death would be too good for them.