Let's talk health insurance!

Aug 21, 2007
Only Public schools are cancelled on Monday.

We are closed tomorrow. We stayed open on Friday, but typically Jamao is rambunctious the day after elections. If there is much street activity the parents will not send their preschool children. Thus we chose to use good judgement and closed.

Reactions: bob saunders

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The doctors do not accept ARS Universal at all. Nothing to do with my knee. Many doctors in Clinica Abreu are the same.
No doctors in SD accept it? That's strange. All doctors that I know of here on the north coast and at HOMS accept it.
I'm 72 and my premium before was around 800 pesos a month, so it doubled at 70.
I have no idea how you got a plan that cheap(?). A friend of mine that's only 33 has a basic plan with Universal(no medication coverage) and pays 2500 pesos/month.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Can one have insurance policy's from two different companies?, for example Senasa and a booster policy from Humano?. Would that make any sense?, would Humano kick in after you hit the 250k limit with Sense?. Thank ytou
I moved away from the DR and kept a basic plan with Humano. I asked my Dr in Santo Domingo at Hospiten regarding insurance and she said I should get another with Humano but still keep the basic one. I didn’t understand really what she meant. At Humano they are trying to sell me Prime plus but asking a couple of people I may go for Premium if I move back.

Reactions: CG

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
No doctors in SD accept it? That's strange. All doctors that I know of here on the north coast and at HOMS accept it.

I have no idea how you got a plan that cheap(?). A friend of mine that's only 33 has a basic plan with Universal(no medication coverage) and pays 2500 pesos/month.
I've had it since the country was invented (I think) Plus I am responsible for adding thousands of persons to their customer base over the many years I've been with them. That's the only reason I can imagine.

Reactions: colmcb and cavok

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I moved away from the DR and kept a basic plan with Humano. I asked my Dr in Santo Domingo at Hospiten regarding insurance and she said I should get another with Humano but still keep the basic one. I didn’t understand really what she meant. At Humano they are trying to sell me Prime plus but asking a couple of people I may go for Premium if I move back.
the cheap plans really dont pay much. They say 100% for emergencies , but this is only for the first 24 hours.The next day its not an emergency so it goes to normal coverage. Very low case limits applyamong other things.

The only case where we recomend the cheap plan is to get people into the sysyem so they can upgrade later, ie if they are 64 years old for humano.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I've had it since the country was invented (I think) Plus I am responsible for adding thousands of persons to their customer base over the many years I've been with them. That's the only reason I can imagine.
this is kind of a nomal price. meds in the hospital can be more than qathe hospital bill excluding surgury.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
the cheap plans really dont pay much. They say 100% for emergencies , but this is only for the first 24 hours.The next day its not an emergency so it goes to normal coverage. Very low case limits applyamong other things.

The only case where we recomend the cheap plan is to get people into the sysyem so they can upgrade later, ie if they are 64 years old for humano.

Do you know of a specific person that has happened to?

I was admitted to Abreu once and was visited the next day by an ARS Universal employee who wanted my doctor to discharge me, but my doctor told him to get lost.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Note. We do have exclusive special rates\plans for veteransand first responders from the USA Canada, Europe and all NATO allied countries, in association with the American Legion who have spent over 2 years putting this together with us. I have been personally humbled by the dedication and work they have done on this.

I hope this is helpful.
May you provide in brief detail some info regarding the special rates and plans?
Hoping to return home in August, and will definitely need some type of coverage.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
So I am now 70 years old. I am in good health, more or less. I have a great policy with Universal. It paid for a knee replacement, but nothing else over the years.

However, the costs keep rising with my age. I am told since I am in the system they will never kick my out, but am now paying more than $3,000 USD each year.

I do have medicare in the US, but it is the basic plan.

I guess I want to know what other long time ex-pats are doing here, what they are paying, with whom, and how they are handling their health.
PLEASE make sure to NEVER to miss a payment !!! They are just waiting for this so they can kick you out and than, at your age, i doubt that you will find another insurance.
The way i see it, the only way to improve your covaragge and also even reduce the fee would be following; Find somebody that has a company and is willing to employe you (on paper). You reimburse him for the "seguro social" payment and than you can combine the state Insurance with your private one and get an even better service for less $.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
PLEASE make sure to NEVER to miss a payment !!! They are just waiting for this so they can kick you out and than, at your age, i doubt that you will find another insurance.
The way i see it, the only way to improve your covaragge and also even reduce the fee would be following; Find somebody that has a company and is willing to employe you (on paper). You reimburse him for the "seguro social" payment and than you can combine the state Insurance with your private one and get an even better service for less $.

She can get SENASA with no problem, Manuel. I've never heard of them turning down anyone, for age or sickness.

My broker has sent my Universal invoice late on more than one occasion.

Since I have a reminder in my calendar, I noticed when the invoice didn't come and made a payment anyway using the contract number. I also keep the receipts even though I don't really need them because I can print out payment history from my online bank.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

I did it to stay in the system while I was away. I don’t live in the DR anymore. Recently when I was there I had a travel insurance with health coverage. For possible moving back I am looking at Humano Premium.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I did it to stay in the system while I was away. I don’t live in the DR anymore. Recently when I was there I had a travel insurance with health coverage. For possible moving back I am looking at Humano Premium.
Go with Humano. They're the one at the top of the charts right now like Universal was years ago.

Reactions: Drperson