Moving back to DR (north coast) when I retire: do or don't

Calos G-Diaz

Apr 15, 2020
The panels will not be enough to power a microwave, a freezer or an AC unit. The only way to power those is a generator.

Don't want to get into a tangent about Tesla PowerWalls, but one of these can power an entire house for approx. 12 hours (I would get 1 just to run the AC, another for the lights/etc.).

Also, I know it's hard for some of you to imagine that there are people who prefer to be away from other people and be around nature instead. I've lived in Bonao on a finca with generators and lanters and all of that. I do not want to live in a city. People are exhausting.

< you'll soon get bored of the beaches and the nature and have the eternal struggle of bad electricity

I think you're talking about yourself Maria, not me. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I can visit NYC on vacation if I miss it.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Don't want to get into a tangent about Tesla PowerWalls, but one of these can power an entire house for approx. 12 hours (I would get 1 just to run the AC, another for the lights/etc.).

Also, I know it's hard for some of you to imagine that there are people who prefer to be away from other people and be around nature instead. I've lived in Bonao on a finca with generators and lanters and all of that. I do not want to live in a city. People are exhausting.

< you'll soon get bored of the beaches and the nature and have the eternal struggle of bad electricity

I think you're talking about yourself Maria, not me. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I can visit NYC on vacation if I miss it.

Fine, I am a little confused as to why you posted a question, people have given you their answer, and you then argue with them. How many good hospitals are there on the NC? How many decent supermarkets are there? How many clothes shops are there (apart from shops selling beachware)? How easy is it to get to and from the US from the NC? I'm talking practical things which will seriously affect the quality of your life.

Reactions: Big

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Fine, I am a little confused as to why you posted a question, people have given you their answer, and you then argue with them. How many good hospitals are there on the NC? How many decent supermarkets are there? How many clothes shops are there (apart from shops selling beachware)? How easy is it to get to and from the US from the NC? I'm talking practical things which will seriously affect the quality of your life.
Very easy to fly to the USA from POP. How often do you need to shop for clothing? Hospitals? Lifestyle often affects how often you need medical care. Beeter off not eating food from a supermarket, if avoidable.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Everyone has different needs, etc...when choosing a location to live. Me personally, I prefer to live in an area that has easy access to good medical care. As you age that becomes important, regardless of how healthy of a lifestyle you live. Clothes shopping not so important but decent supermarkets in the vicinity are important. Beaches, I am not a "beach person". Looking/seeing the water is nice but not that important. SDQ, STI, PUJ and POP all have flights to and from the USA, etc. Price/schedule may differ but there are flights. When I first started coming to the DR a few decades ago, I was more adventurous. Power outages were very common, happened all the time. It did not really bother me that much. Now having electric 24/7 is a top priority. Again, everyone has different wants/needs, and they may change over time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Has anyone mentioned that La Sirena Pola is 6 minutes from Cabarate. And 2 minutes further is Playero. Both are large markets, a lot larger than Janets.................

Reactions: drstock

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Very easy to fly to the USA from POP. How often do you need to shop for clothing? Hospitals? Lifestyle often affects how often you need medical care. Beeter off not eating food from a supermarket, if avoidable.
Gee bob, idk but I’ll make the assumption here that not everyone who comes here has some sad fantasy of livin’ off the land, washing clothes and dishes in the river, rustlin’ cattle, using kerosene lamps for light! Many that come still need their tech and conveniences. They like paying for some young hot a—! They love the gated communities with 24 hour power. We all cant wear the same pair of overalls and caked on cow dung boots eating off the bounty of the land!

• Love
Reactions: MariaRubia

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gee bob, idk but I’ll make the assumption here that not everyone who comes here has some sad fantasy of livin’ off the land, washing clothes and dishes in the river, rustlin’ cattle, using kerosene lamps for light! Many that come still need their tech and conveniences. They like paying for some young hot a—! They love the gated communities with 24 hour power. We all cant wear the same pair of overalls and caked on cow dung boots eating off the bounty of the land!
True enough but anyone with their eyes open know the limitations of living in the DR. Why move here if you just want to replicate where you came from.

Reactions: malko

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I agree with that Bob. To add to it, I know many people that lived/spent time in the DR years ago. They have great memories of their time in the DR. They decide to move here only to discover things have changed. It is not at all how they remember. Best to spend time in different locations, see what/where works best.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
As opposed to eating pica pollo on the street? :D Gotta buy food somewhere! Maybe you were referring to cafeterias and hot "to go" items in the supermarkets?

Reactions: drstock

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As opposed to eating pica pollo on the street? :D Gotta buy food somewhere! Maybe you were referring to cafeterias and hot "to go" items in the supermarkets?
Just like the supermarkets in the states, most of the food in the supermarkets here is packaged crap full of additives and sugars, so yes Pico Pollo would be healthier.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
True enough but anyone with their eyes open know the limitations of living in the DR. Why move here if you just want to replicate where you came from.
I guess those types don’t fit your model, that’s why your post has this negative tone. You moved here when you retired 47 years ago. I spent 20 years. Now it’s time to let the newcomers discover their own!

Calos G-Diaz

Apr 15, 2020
Again, I'm nor arguing with you. People have given their opinions on the plusses/minutes of the NC vs. the cities, I've clarified that this is NOT and issue for me and that I prefer the country, and people continue to belabor the point. See the difference? Thanks for the advice/input on the potential problems of living in the NC. Good to know potential pitfalls to avoid.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I guess those types don’t fit your model, that’s why your post has this negative tone. You moved here when you retired 47 years ago. I spent 20 years. Now it’s time to let the newcomers discover their own!
Nothing negative at all, just the truth. I can't get the parmesan cheese I like unless I go to Pricesmart or certain supermarkets, but most supermarket products regardless of the country aren't very healthy to eat.