Mudanzas: Post Your Shipper

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I want to know about taxes for shipping. If I ship something with someone like CPS it has to be under $200. So how does it work if I use a shipper and ship a whole box?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I want to know about taxes for shipping. If I ship something with someone like CPS it has to be under $200. So how does it work if I use a shipper and ship a whole box?
Price is door to door, taxes included. You have to tell the shipper what’s inside, obviously remove packaging, etc, unless you’re shipping something without it (an appliance or a gas grill, for example). Plus with each box/ drum you can send big bag of rice, flour or jug of oil outside for free.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As an example, last time I checked the price if shipping a fridge it was $300 used and $400 new.....all taxes paid
Fridge value meant nothing

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As an example, last time I checked the price if shipping a fridge it was $300 used and $400 new.....all taxes paid
Fridge value meant nothing

Exactly true. We’re shipping a propane clothes dryer next month, they didn’t care about brand or cost, only size and whether new or used.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have shipped everything....BBQ, stove, fridge...u name it.......arrives effortlessly at the door.

I use Awlida in NYC.... there are a million of them, take your pick

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Has anyone shipped a 40 foot container from northeast United States in the last six months to one year? We usually use Awilda but we have a lot of stuff to ship down. My wife is Dominican. I was told that we have to pay about $6000 for door to door shipping. My wife will also have to arrange a phone call with the embassy for an interview when they will review whether or not these items are allowed to be imported without taxes. Is this accurate and has anyone found an easier way?. This is new and used merchandise.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Has anyone shipped a 40 foot container from northeast United States in the last six months to one year? We usually use Awilda but we have a lot of stuff to ship down. My wife is Dominican. I was told that we have to pay about $6000 for door to door shipping. My wife will also have to arrange a phone call with the embassy for an interview when they will review whether or not these items are allowed to be imported without taxes. Is this accurate and has anyone found an easier way?. This is new and used merchandise.
Is she claiming exemption as a returning Dominican? If you need an import agent in DR send me a message.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Freight forwarder for your own container...

Talk to Hispaniola Freight in Sto Dom to start perhaps....they can clear it at this end & perhaps arrange the whole thing for you

Reactions: reilleyp

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
Hello I’m very interested in hearing how you make out with your container shipping. As my wife and I have been researching for a 20’ container out of Florida and if you intend to send a vehicle it would be best to send along with the container as it is a lot cheaper than sending alone. You can check current spot rates at freight-calculator.com there rates seem to be inline with everyone else. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That could get really expensive. I had a door to door fixed price with low to no customs duties including unpacking when I moved to the DR during the initial residency period. So I thought, I still had to pay customs taxes by making a trip to Santo Domingo and they did not unpack. Nobody can accurately predict what might happen to you since different things happen all the time.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
That could get really expensive. I had a door to door fixed price with low to no customs duties including unpacking when I moved to the DR during the initial residency period. So I thought, I still had to pay customs taxes by making a trip to Santo Domingo and they did not unpack. Nobody can accurately predict what might happen to you since different things happen all the time.
That is what I am afraid of. I would just buy everything in the DR but my grass trimmer flew apart in one year and my small shop vac quit after 3 hours. Plus I hate shopping and going back to Santo Domingo.

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
That is what I am afraid of. I would just buy everything in the DR but my grass trimmer flew apart in one year and my small shop vac quit after 3 hours. Plus I hate shopping and going back to Santo Domingo.
This is exactly the scenario that my wife and I think about. As pretty much all the appliances and household items are not of the same Quality as the ones in the U.S. For the past 2 months we have been sending all our kitchen appliances, washer, TVs, clothes and some furniture to our house. We have saved a lot of money by purchasing the big items at the scratch and dent appliance store 50% off. Plus my wife is a very good dominican negotiator she never pays asking price for anything. And we also jam packed all the appliances with other stuff before wrapping them. I guess it’s a toss up when it comes to shipping or buying in DR but I will Wholeheartedly agree on not having to go to SD for shopping now we just go to Santiago which is a little better.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I feel your pain. I cannot agree more about the crap they sell here versus what you can get in the US and send down. I import almost everything even after 20 years of being here. Whoever thought to import Frigidaire appliances should be shot. I did purchase a made in Mexico Whirlpool washer here recently but I doubt it will last the 30 years my previous one did that had 10 years on it when I moved here.

Exceptions that I don't import myself are batteries for cars and inverters, cars themselves, AC units, and power inverters which I get here.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Has anyone had any experience in shipping boxes of household goods and clothes from Savannah Ga. to Sto Do?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Has anyone had any experience in shipping boxes of household goods and clothes from Savannah Ga. to Sto Do?
No but I do love Savannah, GA.
Lots of ports from north GA to Jax, FL
so you should be able to find reasonable rates within that area.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I ship boxes from PHL to my mudanza in NYC for forwarding to here

You could ship to an MIA mudanza..... closer than NYC

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
We ship from St Augustine FL to SD regularly and our shipper comes all the way from Miami to pick up. But usually we have to wait until they have other pickups in and around Jacksonville as they will not come for 1 or 2 boxes. You may have to make arrangements to meet a shipper down in Jacksonville as I don’t think they will go that far north. Just be careful of who you choose to ship as I just returned from the DR after unboxing my brand new LG Stove I sent a month ago they had dented the whole side 🤬 so I may be looking for a new shipper myself.

Reactions: CristoRey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No but I do love Savannah, GA.
Lots of ports from north GA to Jax, FL
so you should be able to find reasonable rates within that area.
Yes two great ports. My house is less than 5 miles from the port of Sav. An Jackviile 2 hours But I want pick-up from my house and would prefer shipping a blue tank/baril

Reactions: CristoRey

rey

Jan 2, 2007
people must be tired of me saying

Awilda Shipping
Corona/Queens NY & Santiago

NY 718-505-9833

about $35/box and $130 a tanque

average delivery is 3wks... faster in summer, slower before Xmas
I have always delivered mine, so haven't tried consolidating
They pick up in the NYC area
Only food allow in those tankes ? Or can you put old clothes or new clothes or electrodoméstics ?

One friend from NYC told me only FOOD CAN be send , then another friend told FOOD AND CLOTHES

AND THEN my aunt tells me she puts anything at longest is NOT ilegal

What is the right official answer on what can go inside or NOT inside those TANKES from those shipping companies from NYC