Retention of patients due to non-payment, an illegal but common practice in the country

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Very common indeed.
I've always told my family if I die in the DR do not attempt to collect my body
as I have heard way too many stories of families being extorted or financially bled dry by people "helping"
a dead foreigner's relatives retrieve the remains of their beloved family member.
Another classic case of know before you go.
Buyer beware.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Obviously, the medical centers have experienced people not paying, thus the need to collect before release. Union Medica does this, as does the medical clinics in La Vega.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It's hard to see a problem with this, given there are govt docs and hosptials available at no or minimal cost. If you go private, expect to pay.

The only caveat I can think of are unreasonable charges, like $10 USD for a band aid or something along those lines.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
According to the article above, a man was taken to an OBGYN center in SD, where he received a pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am familiar with the policy of payment before release from hospitals I posted in the OP I made.

What I did not know is that this policy by hospitals and clinics is illegal. So, there is that.

Reactions: Fulano2

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am familiar with the policy of payment before release from hospitals I posted in the OP I made.

What I did not know is that this policy by hospitals and clinics is illegal. So, there is that.
One of the reasons they don't want an unaccompanied patient.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's hard to see a problem with this, given there are govt docs and hosptials available at no or minimal cost. If you go private, expect to pay.

The only caveat I can think of are unreasonable charges, like $10 USD for a band aid or something along those lines.
The problem with it? The policy is illegal. At least that is the problem I see.

Reactions: Fulano2