Too Many Cars - what will the government do?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Or even worse, the cars that had half their roof with one color, and the other half the other color.
You mean like this? That's a beauty!!!
1715709886903.jpeg

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
In other cities where over population of vehicles is a problem, they have different license plates for different days the vehicle is allowed on the road. Mexico city for example has a red plate and a blue plate.
Yup,they do that here in Colombia,it's called Pico y Placa and it is effective. Some people get around it by switching plates etc. but the traffic police do their jobs here and there are plenty of them out every day in busy areas, you won't see a single motorcycle driver here without a helmet or any of the crazy shit you see in the DR,people actually use crosswalks here. If the DR was serious about fixing some of their problems related to traffic safety they could fix it in a heartbeat but they just don't give a rat's azz,Colombia is proof of that.

Reactions: Seamonkey

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
And now after allowing them, they'll be banned soon. That's why used cars prices increased like crazy the lasts 6 months
I agree with with many people's arguments, that importing from Korea allowed many working and middle-class families to afford cars but they do need a solution. It's in theory too late. The same with the article that wanted to reduce the amount of motorcycles imported. The damage is already done.

It's complicated really. Many of the cars from the US are rebuilt.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Not too long ago representatives of used cars sales were complaining in various media sources that there is a bill either in Chamber of Deputies or in the Senste that will essentially make illegal the sale of used cars in the DR. It wouldn’t be the first country in Latin America, several countries (I think Colombia is one of them) used cars can’t be sold by dealerships. While you do see more luxury cars roaming around many areas of Santo Domingo than you see in Bogotá or Medellín, the average car roaming the streets looks better and newer in Colombia than in the DR. Colombian authorities also don’t allow certain cars conditions to be on the roads. In the DR you will see some cars that you know should not be on the road, sone missing bumpers or have tape covering where a window is suppose to be, and that is only the tip of the ice berg.

In the USA there are mandatory car inspections in certain places like NYC and surrounding areas, but there is no such thing in Central Florida. It would be interesting how the DR would go about implementing one and how to mark the cars that pass inspection. One time a NYC cop gave me a ticket because nowhere on the plates were the sticker of inspection, he was even finishing writing the ticket and said to me “good luck.” What he didn’t know is that unlike NY state (don’t know now), CT had moved beyond the sticker and everything is done electronically. There is nothing on the plates indicating anything since no stickers of anything are added, just scan the license plate number and everything pops up in the screen. At that moment I couldn’t figure out if the cop was an idiot or ignorant of that or both!
100%
I think last year or the year before they wanted to implement car inspections here. I don't know how'd they pull it off either. Plus, the unions are very powerful. I am unsure how they'd get all of those junk public cars off the road.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I first came here to the DR, you were supposed to get your car tested each year, I never did and nobody seemed to care. You were supposed to go to a test centre and if you passed you put a sticker on the screen. The problem was that the testers were very bribable and other people were just selling the stickers without the test ever being taken. The scheme was soon abandoned.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I live in Denmark now but still spend time in the DR. In Denmark I dont really need a car. I use public transport or walk and enjoy both. If I move back to the DR I feel I would have to get a car again for quality of life. When I am in Santo Domingo I use Uber but I really don’t enjoy walking anywhere. When I am in Las Terrenas walking is reasonably ok but it just gets very limited what you can do.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Car are cash-cows for governments all over the World; import taxes, registrations, taxes on car sales, taxes on car parts, taxes on getting the cars fixed, taxes on the mechanic's salaries, toll-roads, marbetes, and the biggest cash-cow the taxes on fuel, if anything governments want more cars on the road.
the largest cash cow is the 40% import tax on what they say the car is worth....... the cars dont need to be inspected every year ....the drivers do.........

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
100%
I think last year or the year before they wanted to implement car inspections here. I don't know how'd they pull it off either. Plus, the unions are very powerful. I am unsure how they'd get all of those junk public cars off the road.
Notice how the government was creating new bus routes to replace the carros públicos. I think most of the major avenues of SD were suppose to have these buses and routes. Instead the only avenues with these buses are Churchill-Jiménez Moya and Núñez de Cáceres. Hubieres (aka the taliban) began to protest about this. A meeting with the government took place and essentially, the plan went into a screeching halt. Carros públicos many not offering the slightest safety and comfort to its customers, and buses falling apart and without a/c plus crammed with people will be with Capitaleños for a very long time. Thanks Hubieres!

Traffic flows better when the carros públicos are taken out of the way.

Reactions: chicagoan14

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Notice how the government was creating new bus routes to replace the carros públicos. I think most of the major avenues of SD were suppose to have these buses and routes. Instead the only avenues with these buses are Churchill-Jiménez Moya and Núñez de Cáceres. Hubieres (aka the taliban) began to protest about this. A meeting with the government took place and essentially, the plan went into a screeching halt. Carros públicos many not offering the slightest safety and comfort to its customers, and buses falling apart and without a/c plus crammed with people will be with Capitaleños for a very long time. Thanks Hubieres!

Traffic flows better when the carros públicos are taken out of the way.
I agree with you! They're one of the biggest issues. They do routers and back up traffic.

You're right la nunez was the best example. They had allocated a few drivers to drive the buses. They allowed the drivers to bust the windows out of the buses and still let them come out victorious after the meeting. Incredible really.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The number of vehicles on the DR roads is a symptom of a bigger problem. Overpopulation. Check out the DR population growth estimates. Current number is approximately 11.5 million. The annual growth rate is about 1%, about 100,000 more per year. Projected to be approximately 12.5 million by 2050.

The DR land mass is not large. It’s finite as are its resources. Average life expectancy of DR citizens is about 75 years and increasing. More people living longer. Factor in about one million Haitians on the DR side and increasing, according to some posters, and the population numbers increase significantly with no end in sight.

Infrastructure, roads, water, and electricity are already showing signs of stress from population density in the major cities, and along the North Coast. The government should be focusing on population control measures and infrastructure development planning which Includes traffic density and flow.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The number of vehicles on the DR roads is a symptom of a bigger problem. Overpopulation. Check out the DR population growth estimates. Current number is approximately 11.5 million. The annual growth rate is about 1%, about 100,000 more per year. Projected to be approximately 12.5 million by 2050.

The DR land mass is not large. It’s finite as are its resources. Average life expectancy of DR citizens is about 75 years and increasing. More people living longer. Factor in about one million Haitians on the DR side and increasing, according to some posters, and the population numbers increase significantly with no end in sight.

Infrastructure, roads, water, and electricity are already showing signs of stress from population density in the major cities, and along the North Coast. The government should be focusing on population control measures and infrastructure development planning which Includes traffic density and flow.
All one has to do is drive by your local public hospital to see all the pregnant women, mainly Haitian, waiting to see a doctor to see part of the problem. There are more kids than schools, even with numerous new schools built. The catholic school in Jarabacoa is huge and they are building another one just for pre-kinder- to preprimary. The streets were not designed with the idea of parking cars and still being able to drive both directions. The blocks are so short that even if people follow the rules you can be stuck not moving through several green lights. Birth Control is readily available and is used, but not by those that should be using it.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
You mean like this? That's a beauty!!!
View attachment 9047
My father had a two tone green and white 53 Chevy Belaire 4 door, 283 cu.inch V8. I remember it well. Beautiful car. The hubcaps and lower chrome strip on this one are not original. His first car was an Oldsmobile with a straight eight engine. You could balance a nickel on the engine when it was idling.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My father had a two tone green and white 53 Chevy Belaire 4 door, 283 cu.inch V8. I remember it well. Beautiful car. The hubcaps and lower chrome strip on this one are not original. His first car was an Oldsmobile with a straight eight engine. You could balance a nickel on the engine when it was idling.
Maybe just not in Canada? I've seen a lot of 55 Chevy's that look exactly like that one.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Everyone... Well... Possible most... Are for economic development in the DR.

How does this desired economic development take place without vehicles?

Banking... Employment... Trade... Medical... Leisure... Wealth accumulation... And the list goes on... And all deeply rely on what vehicles bring to the table.

So what's the solution?

A Google search for "...The value of vehicles in economic development..." turned up some interesting results.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Maybe just not in Canada? I've seen a lot of 55 Chevy's that look exactly like that one.
When I was a kid,we had a head on collision at slow speed on a dry dusty dirt road with my father’s 53. No seat belts and I came away unscathed. I was tucked in tightly in the front seat between my father and mother. My mother sustained some cuts when her face hit the windshield. Those cars were built like tanks. In todays plastic cars, I suspect the outcome might be different even with air bags if you weren’t strapped in.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When I was a kid,we had a head on collision at slow speed on a dry dusty dirt road with my father’s 53. No seat belts and I came away unscathed. I was tucked in tightly in the front seat between my father and mother. My mother sustained some cuts when her face hit the windshield. Those cars were built like tanks. In todays plastic cars, I suspect the outcome might be different even with air bags if you weren’t strapped in.
In those days the dah was Detroit steel not flimsy padded plastic so if you hit that it would leave a mark