what DR is building a wall..... I hope it's not the same time frame as Trumps wall

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is it thousands of miles long?

Only 17 Km of a 376 Km border.

Gotta start somewhere.

After they finish, they can come up with a snowbird visa, you know, one where you can be in the country longer than 30 days and be legal as long as you are not from Haiti.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Only 17 Km of a 376 Km border.

Gotta start somewhere.

After they finish, they can come up with a snowbird visa, you know, one where you can be in the country longer than 30 days and be legal as long as you are not from Haiti.

I'm liking that snowbirds visa idea. But I think us snowbirds are paying for it anyway with our residency fees and general screw over tax of 18% on pretty much everything

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A few years ago Haiti build a wall on a few kilometers of the border (something ignored by most of the media outside the two countries) claiming it was losing custom taxes due to people crossing at will. The wall forces people to use the official channels. I wonder if the Dominican wall is a continuation of the Haitian one. Consuelo Despadrel went to the border and filmed the wall with beautiful patriotic murals on the Haitian side. I'll see if I can find the video or some image captions of the same.

A few decades ago a Dominican group visited Israel to see the wall they built. Israel offered the DR a preferential deal, but the Dominican president at that time completely ignored the offer. I think at that time the projected cost of the wall was US$300 million, which was considerably cheaper than the first line of SD Metro.

When Hipolito was president an high ranking Israeli official while visiting SD with an official group from there, told him that the Haitians are not suppose to cross the border at will. His response was that the DR doesn't have a problem with the Haitians, and that was that. :smoke:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here are a few image captions made from her show showing the Haitian wall at the border.

Frontera1.jpg

Frontera2.jpg

Frontera3.jpg

Frontera4.jpg

The structure itself looks like the wall many people build as part of the protection of their homes and properties.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hippolito was, is and always well be an idiot. Much like George W Bush in the US.

As for the wall, yes it does look like the kind of wall people build for safety here. I call it the home boundary style wall. Enter at your own risk, leave never.