Elton John

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
This is of course true. Bachata was the music of the Cabarets and the dancing style was considered lascivious and was geared towards the whores and men who were cheating on their wives.
Yes, indeed: música de cabaretes y cafetines, música de orilla.

Bachata was played mainly in Radio Guarachita, and it dealt with broken hearts, as well. Now, thanks to Aventura and Romeo, bachata has traveled all over. However, some would argue that it was J.L. Guerra's "Bachata Rosa" and/or Antony Santos's "Voy pa' allá" that made bachata palpable to the masses.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Gee.
I always thought of bachata as being ...la musica del campo.
Whatever its roots...it moves.
The first time I ever danced it was in a rundown dingy beach bar on Macao beach back in the nineties.
Frias and bachata and the hot sun on a beautiful beach.
What's not to love?

Reactions: Lucifer
Jan 9, 2004

Bachata was played mainly in Radio Guarachita, and it dealt with broken hearts, as well. Now, thanks to Aventura and Romeo, bachata has traveled all over. However, some would argue that it was J.L. Guerra's "Bachata Rosa" and/or Antony Santos's "Voy pa' allá" that made bachata palpable to the masses.
Yes it has.

I was quite shocked when someone sent me a link about the World Bachata Festival.................................in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Seems the asian countries have really taken to it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Lucifer

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Yea, thanks for sending this over. Your knowledge is remarkable. You must be the one. I don't care for this music. I don't care for rap, reggaeton, bachata or any nonsense of the like which shows homage and or praise, or otherwise the glorification of cheap sex, organized crime, murder, drug usage, infidelity etc.

Back to the topic Growing up in the 70s I only liked the early Elton. My favorite was Levon. Elton has grown old and crotchety and I no longer care for his performances.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I don't care for rap, reggaeton, bachata or any nonsense of the like which shows homage and or praise, or otherwise the glorification of cheap sex, organized crime, murder, drug usage, infidelity etc.

2i88kv.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jd426

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Oh! But he probably hates SNL, as well as all the supremely great Italian actors, the city of San Fran, the NYT, the Young Turks and the Good Liars, and Stephen Colbert and George Carlin.

But bachata is still cool!

And Elton John's and Bernie Taupin's songs will be here forever. Might as well get used to it, Manolo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Gee.
I always thought of bachata as being ...la musica del campo.
Whatever its roots...it moves.
The first time I ever danced it was in a rundown dingy beach bar on Macao beach back in the nineties.
Frias and bachata and the hot sun on a beautiful beach

Campo music is more Merengue Tipico. Endless songs with 2 chords.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I saw you playing Hotel California to a merengue beat at El Choco happy hour
That would be a Reggae beat.

I did play a wedding gig at Casa de los Suenos in Sosua. The wedding march and easy listening stuff before the DJ kicked in.
The mother of he bride came to sit with my wife and myself after my part was done and said
I had an Elton John vibe going that day. I thought about that and thanked her, but...

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
That would be a Reggae beat.

I did play a wedding gig at Casa de los Suenos in Sosua. The wedding march and easy listening stuff before the DJ kicked in.
The mother of he bride came to sit with my wife and myself after my part was done and said
I had an Elton John vibe going that day. I thought about that and thanked her, but...
I also heard you did the lunch gig at Mojito, played Black Magic Woman on the xylophone. 2 for 1 sex on the beach in the tall glasses and all u can eat wings

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Campo music is more Merengue Tipico. Endless songs with 2 chords.
That's only in the Cibao and in surrounding mountain areas. In the east and in the south people practically don't listen to that. It was also extremely rare in the Capital, but in the last few years it has gained acceptance among a very small group. I'm convinced this small group are Cibaeños or at least one of their parents is from the Cibao. Now there are some (very limited) places in the Capital that play Merengue Típico while before there were none.

This is despite the Merengue Típico is held as a national representation of the DR. You will even see Merengue Típico being played live in various airports. It's funny to see that at the Punta Cana International Airport when outside the airport it's hardly heard anywhere. lol Very different from say Santiago. There is even a song about how important Santiago was for maintaining the Merengue Típico, as for a time most of the support for that music came from there.